• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At what age do "helicopter ears" appear?

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
I'm asking because Apollo is at least 9 months old (and definitely not much more than that). Over the past couple of days, I've noticed his left ear has been lopped, not because he's about to wash it or anything, just as he's charging about with Athena. It seems a little late for it to suddenly turn up to me (Elphie and Galinda, my full dwarf lops whom have been with me since 10 weeks were mostly already lopped by then). Obviously if something has happened to his ear, I'd rather get it checked out but don't want to rush to the vets unneccessarily.

Bonus vid of him from a few weeks back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgpINbDPNkI

Sølve where 2 months yesterday and his ears are fully lopped. He sometimes have helicopter ears tho, it seems his right ear is easier for him to put up so he usually does that when he listens to his soroundings. His left ear is always down.

tabby rabbit had helicopter ears from a few weeks and for ages. I must check to see if she still has them. she's eight.

Our girls started to show signs of lop from about 10/12 weeks, just after we brought them home from the rescue.
The vet was convinced Sugar's heli lop was just a phase, but almost a year on she is still predominantly heli!

Nine months is a bit late to develop them if they were normal upright ears before. However, rabbits do direct blood flow through their ears to cool so their ears can get heavier on hot days - so if they are on right on the border or lop/not lop that can tip them over. I think it would be best to get it checked though just in case it's anything up with his ear that's causing a problem.

I put up a post yesterday with exactly the same problem with one of my 9 month rabbits, and it was also the left ear that went floppy! I rang vets and was told to observe and make appointment if more symptoms occur. Today he is moving his ear around and it's sticking up again, so maybe a minor injury? Could Apollo have an injury ? and perhaps it will get better on its own.

I thought it seemed a bit late to suddenly set in, especially after watching Elphie and Galinda grow up years ago. Today, Apollo's ear is looking absolutely normal again. If it persists by Monday, I'll book him an appointment. The ear looks clean and he isn't shaking his head or scratching incessantly at it. He was just carrying one up/one down.

@joybell - ah these rabbits. Clearly Apollo and your boy have brain wifi going on to concern us!

I thought it seemed a bit late to suddenly set in, especially after watching Elphie and Galinda grow up years ago. Today, Apollo's ear is looking absolutely normal again. If it persists by Monday, I'll book him an appointment. The ear looks clean and he isn't shaking his head or scratching incessantly at it. He was just carrying one up/one down.

@joybell - ah these rabbits. Clearly Apollo and your boy have brain wifi going on to concern us!
Yes, they only do it to stress us out!!

I have two bunnies who have larger ears and both occassionally lop when feeling relaxed, ill, or hot. It never looks entirely comfortable, but their crown (the bit between their ears) is wide enough that one ear can lop. For both, it's likely there is a lop in their ancestry somewhere. So a vet check is a smart idea, but it may also have genetic roots.

Back