• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy ear!

joybell

Warren Scout
Hi, I have just been to check on outside buns and one of them has one ear folded down when both ears are usually erect. I examined the ear inside and out and nothing to see. Bunny is eating fine and quite normal apart from the ear. Has anyone any ideas?:wave:

It can be difficult to see right into the ear canal without using an otoscope. So if the ear is still drooping tomorrow it would be a good idea to get the Vet to check it thoroughly. Is the Bunny shaking his/her head a lot or scratching the ears (s) ?

How old is the bunny? If it's quite young could it be it's becoming a lop??

My girls are just over 1 and started life with up ears....... by about 4 months they started to 'flop', Toffee is a full lop & Sugar a heli-lop!
My profile picture shows Toffee at the start of the lop process, just the tips starting to flop over.

Hi, I have just been to check on outside buns and one of them has one ear folded down when both ears are usually erect. I examined the ear inside and out and nothing to see. Bunny is eating fine and quite normal apart from the ear. Has anyone any ideas?:wave:

Does the ear feel warm at all? I have found that injury often causes an ear to droop when it hasn't done previously ... The vet will be able to examine the cartilage at the base of the ear and tell you.

It can be difficult to see right into the ear canal without using an otoscope. So if the ear is still drooping tomorrow it would be a good idea to get the Vet to check it thoroughly. Is the Bunny shaking his/her head a lot or scratching the ears (s) ?

He's not shaking his head nor scratching. Both ears seem the same temperature and he doesn't seem bothered at all. I will take your advice and ring vets in the morning just in case. thank you

Does the ear feel warm at all? I have found that injury often causes an ear to droop when it hasn't done previously ... The vet will be able to examine the cartilage at the base of the ear and tell you.

My initial thought was injury as they occasionally chase around, so I will ring vets in the morning. I also wondered about a stroke but he is hopping and running normally. They are such a worry these buns!

My initial thought was injury as they occasionally chase around, so I will ring vets in the morning. I also wondered about a stroke but he is hopping and running normally. They are such a worry these buns!

I would think a stroke is unlikely :)

Yes they are indeed a worry!

I rang the vets and they said to keep an eye on Grey and take him if more symptoms occurred. He seems to be waggling his floppy ear and it's now back to normal, so maybe it was a minor injury after all. Very weird!

I rang the vets and they said to keep an eye on Grey and take him if more symptoms occurred. He seems to be waggling his floppy ear and it's now back to normal, so maybe it was a minor injury after all. Very weird!

So many things about bunnies we never get to the bottom of :?

Glad all seems to be well at the moment :thumb:

Back