• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making a run burrowing proof

natna

New Kit
I did post this before but put it in entirely the wrong section. We are buying a new hutch with large run attached fr our two Dutch bunnies. It will be on grass (don't have an option for slabs). Obviously we don't want them to scape. Was thinning of mesh on the floor pressed down into the earth so the grass can grow through. Not sure about the type of mesh though and if this is ok for the bunnies.

Yes, this is what a few people do. It is wire weld mesh that you need, not chicken wire. I can't remember what inch squares it should have, but pretty small anyways.

Someone should pop along with more details.

I can't remember what inch squares it should have, but pretty small anyways.
If it's just for the floor, the squares can be bigger, but I wouldn't want to go bigger than 2" square. The best way is to take the lawn up: sounds drastic but isn't too bad really! That way they can only scrape off the first inch or so and then just find mesh and dirt :)

Thanks for your replies. Taking the lawn up does sound drastic, it is quite a large area. I was thinking of trying to press the mesh into the grass as far as possible. It is a new lawn area so it should not be too difficult as it has not been walked on and compacted down.

I did this sort of thing years ago :D the trouble is rabbits can pull it up somehow and even bite through it if it's chicken wire, so it has to be mesh, an inch sq will do. The problem with this is after about 2 weeks the grass has been over grazed and all you have left is er, well, mud! So, If you can't regularly move the run and mesh then your best option is paving slabs and maybe have a bigger enclosure where the rabbits can free range for small periods of time and don't decimate the grass.

For those who are suggesting slabs, do you put anything down to make it softer for the bunnies feet?

For those who are suggesting slabs, do you put anything down to make it softer for the bunnies feet?
Mine are 24-7 on concrete and I don't: Lopsy has superfluffy feet and Aboleth doesn't seem to mind. The only time I see pain is when they stand on a bramble branch they haven't chewed to death yet! They have lino in their playhouse, carpet on the windowsill in there as well as a rope-woven stool and soft cat tree, and hay in the little mini-hutch upper area, so they've plenty of respite should they want it :)

This is our new 7ft hutch :)
11907208_502157619939504_760148512908718636_n.jpg

Back