• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When housing indoors, how big a space would you recommend?

My current bunny lives in my bedroom- he has a fabric pen thats 24 hours a day open and he has hopping space in my bedroom 24 hours a day. Now i only have a very small bedroom his pen is :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008437RLK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

and his floor space he has access to 24 hours a day is 6/7ft wide x 4ft aprox.

Am i giving him enough space. We are looking to adopt a 2nd bunny (spay female) in a few weeks when he is 8 weeks post op etc.

He will also have a 6ft x 2ft double hutch with a 8x6ft run (the run is being built at the moment and will be shipped to me by next week) for outdoor use in the warm weather.
Now i know outdoors he will have enough space, but will the rescue be okay with the size of the indoor space?

Or am i better off folding away the pen to give more floor space and make an area of about 6/7ft wide and 6ft deep ?

I hope this makes scene. I will try and get a picture of the area tomorrow if that will help. Thanks

I don't know if this is correct but my pair of rabbits live in my bedroom, I am working on a new cage for them they will have a 6ft by 2ft by 2 ft cage and will have free range in the evenings and over night at the weekends. My room is very rabbit proofed as I also have guinea pigs so a certain amount was done already. I would guess it is about 11 ft long and their space is 3ft wide (bits blocked off by grids to make it a very rough square) and about 9 ft long,

I hope next year move them outside more, but they were very new and accidental to me this summer so it has been a bit hit and miss.

Just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one!

That's not a bad size pen, you could keep that and then let them out in the rest of the room for more exercise daily or do away with it. I think that's more of a how practical it is for you issue - can you bunny proof the whole room and sleep with bunnies run around? :)

Yes Castiel is already 24hours free range in the room with the pen foe just his litter tray and food etc.
I can sleep through anything....the guinea pigs who live also in my room (on a table) are much noisier than Castiel haha.
Cas also gets to hop about upstairs supervised when I'm home.

Back