• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sick or grieving? ?

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
As I have posted here before that my Oliver is a sludge prone bun and has been on baytril for over 2 weeks now for a suspected uti. His appetite has improved and after tightening down on his diet i haven't seen sludge since he has been on the antibiotics. His urine is still quite dark orange in colour. He is still trying to pee more frequently than I think is normal. Would trying to pee more often be a sign of something else considering there is no sludge to be seen ? He used to be a big hay eater but that has reduced also but he is eatting his food but grazing instead of eatting at one sitting g.. I don't know if his reduced eatting is due to the uti or he is grieving for Rosie who passed 6 weeks ago. I will be speaking to the vet tomorrow so I wonder if I should risk putting him under sedation to check for sludge or not. His water i take isn't great .

I would say he is unwell but I've only ever had a single rabbit and I know they grieve. Could you maybe add a probiotic to the water to make it taste nicer and maybe get him to drink more. I'm only suggesting a probiotic as it won't do his stomach any damage.

Thanks Cpayne. My gut feeling tells me something isn't right also. I guess I am afraid of the sedation. He won't drink his water with anything added. I tried the avipro prebiotic and apple juice. He's not so slow !

Thanks Cpayne. My gut feeling tells me something isn't right also. I guess I am afraid of the sedation. He won't drink his water with anything added. I tried the avipro prebiotic and apple juice. He's not so slow !

I agree, something here worries me.

Have you had the urine cultured in a C&S test? That would tell you if there's any bacteria and whether Baytril is the drug of choice.

That's what I would do before sedation.

No he has not had the culture. Will this still be able to be done while Oliver is still on baytril ?? Would doing bloods be of benefit too?? Yes i would like to avoid sedation if at all possible.

No he has not had the culture. Will this still be able to be done while Oliver is still on baytril ?? Would doing bloods be of benefit too?? Yes i would like to avoid sedation if at all possible.

Ask your vet about the bloods. Kidney disease can make buns go off their food. But the kidneys need to be nearly shot before that shows up in a blood test.

Yes they can do the culture whilst on Baytril. The vet will need to tell the lab and they adjust for this.

Speak to your vet. Perhaps do one at a time?

He is drinking water maybe just not enough. He does eat all his greens overnight. He does eat hay just less and does enjoy the rosewood hay bales. It's just overall his appetite is a bit less. It's more the frequent tail lifting i guess that is worrying me as the food is eaten eventually. I don't know if i am over analysing.

He is drinking water maybe just not enough. He does eat all his greens overnight. He does eat hay just less and does enjoy the rosewood hay bales. It's just overall his appetite is a bit less. It's more the frequent tail lifting i guess that is worrying me as the food is eaten eventually. I don't know if i am over analysing.

Well the two things that spring to my mind are:

1. Because of the tail lifting, either sludge or infection (bladder, UTI)

2. Because of the reduced appetite - kidney issues.

Just had one more thought, which you may have already covered:

3. Dental issues connected with not eating.

Oh Nicky, I wish I could wave a magic wand. You've had so much! I don't think you're over analysing. I think you're observant.

Thanks Mighty Max. U have answered my concerns very clearly now and that helps so much. Think tho I will get bloods done also when i am there as the travel is the issue and want to cover all bases. I know that as Oliver has been such a good hay eater in the past the vet said his teeth were great but I know she can't really see the back ones so i will still consider that. Yes my buns r having rough time this year. Thankfully Cody is doing really well right now. Thanks Mighty Max.

I think so too and it's great to be observant as you can pick things up early. I always think owners know their rabbits so I would go with your gut. Most rabbits are little piglets, I know Doughnut is so if she left some of her food it would concern me.

Could you maybe wet the greens? I know you're going to the vets but just trying to think of ways to get more water into him. Also grass has a lot of water content.

Good luck at the vets. Not sure if you are able to get a urine sample which they could test?

Thanks Mighty Max. U have answered my concerns very clearly now and that helps so much. Think tho I will get bloods done also when i am there as the travel is the issue and want to cover all bases. I know that as Oliver has been such a good hay eater in the past the vet said his teeth were great but I know she can't really see the back ones so i will still consider that. Yes my buns r having rough time this year. Thankfully Cody is doing really well right now. Thanks Mighty Max.

I think so too and it's great to be observant as you can pick things up early. I always think owners know their rabbits so I would go with your gut. Most rabbits are little piglets, I know Doughnut is so if she left some of her food it would concern me.

Could you maybe wet the greens? I know you're going to the vets but just trying to think of ways to get more water into him. Also grass has a lot of water content.

Good luck at the vets. Not sure if you are able to get a urine sample which they could test?

The vet can express the bladder. If necessary, giving sub cut fluids to make them want to wee can be done.

I just wondered about taking her own up. I've always thought how I would do it as Doughnut goes in her litter tray with the recycled paper in it but if I just put newspaper in it, some puddles form so I could get one like that. You probably don't need to take one but just thought it may be useful and an easy way to get it :)

I just wondered about taking her own up. I've always thought how I would do it as Doughnut goes in her litter tray with the recycled paper in it but if I just put newspaper in it, some puddles form so I could get one like that. You probably don't need to take one but just thought it may be useful and an easy way to get it :)

Yes I know what you mean. However, I find a vet expressing the bladder gets a fresher and less contaminated sample :D

Yes that's true. It's only because I've seen threads where vets have asked someone to get a urine sample. Now you've said that I don't know why they would ask! Luckily Doughnut has never had a UTI so no experience in that field but now I know I won't bother with a urine sample if I suspect one.

Yes that's true. It's only because I've seen threads where vets have asked someone to get a urine sample. Now you've said that I don't know why they would ask! Luckily Doughnut has never had a UTI so no experience in that field but now I know I won't bother with a urine sample if I suspect one.

If a vet can't express a rabbit's bladder to get a sample, I would query their savviness. Therefore, would I be going to them anyway? :?

Back