• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on bordetella

Hi! I'm new to the forum.
I've been wondering about this for a while and i thought I'd ask.
I currently own two guinea pigs and a dog however I was looking to add a couple of buns to our pet family. My only concern is that since rabbits can pass on the bordetella disease to guinea pigs and both pets would be housed separately but in the same garden, could the pigs get it? Would it pass over on my clothes? Or when both pets are free ranging? How common is bordetella? Can my dog catch it from my rabbits? Bordetella has been a big worry of mine for a while but I've always wanted to own some buns. Both pets will be housed at opposite ends of the garden in sheds but will be allowed all around during free range time. Thanks x

Personally I don't think the risk is as big as people think. Dogs are much more likely to get bordetella (aka kennel cough) and pass it onto guinea pigs and rabbits but you don't see people saying don't get a dog and don't let dogs near your gp's/rabbits.

That's not to say it isn't a danger - I do think you should avoid direct contact when at all possible and also ensure good air ventilation (which of course won't be a problem for you if they're housed in the garden). I have dogs and rabbits and I plan on getting gp's which will be housed in the same room as the dogs and rabbits (because the dogs/rabbits free range the house) and walk on the same floors. I just won't let them interact - when the gp's are out I'll lock the dogs/rabbits out of the room.

I have central AC, ceiling fans, standing fans and air purifiers and I'll continue practicing good hygiene like I do with the rest of the pets e.g. I wouldn't wash my rabbit's water bowl and then wash my gp's water bowl. I'd wash the gp's bowl first, then the rabbit's, and would wash up afterwards. Same goes with everything else e.g. cages, litterpans, bedding etc - wash up after touching. It sounds like a pain but I do this with my pets just because I think it's good hygiene and it becomes a habit, you quickly get used to it.

Lots of people house gp's and rabbits in the same garden/room/shed and don't have any issues. People tend to just keep them separate but bordetella is an airborne disease and is passed on clothes etc...so it's certainly still possible to spread. But I think that's low risk with good air ventilation and healthy animals (low immune system means greater chance of picking it up). That's why dogs often pick it up at kennels and in shelters. Cramped conditions, not good air flow, with a bunch of dogs that may or may not have a lowered immune system due to stress or illness.

Hi! I'm new to the forum.
I've been wondering about this for a while and i thought I'd ask.
I currently own two guinea pigs and a dog however I was looking to add a couple of buns to our pet family. My only concern is that since rabbits can pass on the bordetella disease to guinea pigs and both pets would be housed separately but in the same garden, could the pigs get it? Would it pass over on my clothes? Or when both pets are free ranging? How common is bordetella? Can my dog catch it from my rabbits? Bordetella has been a big worry of mine for a while but I've always wanted to own some buns. Both pets will be housed at opposite ends of the garden in sheds but will be allowed all around during free range time. Thanks x

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Having fostered/boarded/kept rabbits and guinea pigs for many years, this is not something I would see as a problem

Back