• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Combo Vaccine out of stock

:shock: I've not heard about it till now but it is quite worrying if it is true. I've read a bit of a suggestion that VHD could be active in this area so I definitely don't want to be delaying my vaccinations!! (I have 2 due before October).

My friend was due to get three of her buns vaccinated yesterday but only got one done as it was our vets last dose! Let's hope all buns needing their vaccinations can have them done somewhere.

Both my girls had their vaccines yesterday with no problems and the vet didn't mention anything about their being a shortage. (Salisbury area).

Just rang my vets to ask and they said they haven't heard anything.

They have taken it seriously though, it could be disastrous if it is true.

Last edited:
This is true. We've just had an email come from MSD Animal Health (I run a local RSPCA branch) to make us aware. The shortage is between end of August and end of October. I called our vets straight away and they are also aware :(

This is true. We've just had an email come from MSD Animal Health (I run a local RSPCA branch) to make us aware. The shortage is between end of August and end of October. I called our vets straight away and they are also aware :(

Thanks for the heads up, I have two due for vaccines in a months time... :(

I have 6 due for vaccs in just over a month and phoned the vet today but they said they had no issues and had not heard of anything. I just hope we will be ok come next month.

My vet ran out yesterday when I had her last 4 vials and she has been unable to order more. I took my other 12 permanent resident bunnies who were due to an alternative vet practice where they were good enough to do them for me as they had stock of the vaccine in.

Does anyone know exactly why there is a supply problem ? Seems odd that a drug company develop a vaccine that effectively wipes out the supply of any of the single VHD/Myxo vaccines made by other companies, so there is no choice but to go for the combination vaccine, but then all of a sudden a 'supply problem' occurs :? Right at the build up to the 'Myxo Season' too.

I'd like to hear a full and transparent explanation from the manufacturers

Does anyone know exactly why there is a supply problem ? Seems odd that a drug company develop a vaccine that effectively wipes out the supply of any of the single VHD/Myxo vaccines made by other companies, so there is no choice but to go for the combination vaccine, but then all of a sudden a 'supply problem' occurs :? Right at the build up to the 'Myxo Season' too.

I'd like to hear a full and transparent explanation from the manufacturers

It's a really bad stuff-up isn't it? We need to know how this could possibly happen!

I'm panicking and I'm sure a lot of others are too. I don't want to be selfish and get mine booked ahead of time but I don't want to miss out either :cry: Betsy who is 3 years has probably only ever been vaccinated once in her life so I worry most about her. I'm actually more concerned about VHD at the moment given some info I've read that has me worried that VHD *might* have wiped out the wildies in this area... and I've not seen one wild rabbit in over 2 weeks now:cry:

Last edited:
This is worrying! Mine got their vaccine in April so I am OK, but there must be many that are due.

I heard a rumour that it's because they have started selling wholesale abroad and there just isn't enough to go round?

Mine aren't due until February so I've got a while but I really hope this is something that can be sorted out asap. Otherwise it could be devastating :(

Apparently they are sending out multi-dose vaccines where there is a vial containing several doses of vaccine that have to be used in a short space of time after it has been opened (?4 hours) Sooo, vaccines "will" be available in this way from "mid-September" and my vets are planning to run vaccination clinics if they run out of the single vials.

So, in theory the vaccines will be available but it will just take a bit of organising for vets to use them effectively and for people to attend when the vial has been opened.

*huge sigh of relief*. Also, there's a fridge in HG1 that has vaccinations with Gracie's and Betsy's names on... so I can calm down a bit now :oops::oops:

Last edited:
Apparently they are sending out multi-dose vaccines where there is a vial containing several doses of vaccine that have to be used in a short space of time after it has been opened (?4 hours) Sooo, vaccines "will" be available in this way from "mid-September" and my vets are planning to run vaccination clinics if they round out of the single vials.

So, in theory the vaccines will be available but it will just take a bit of organising for vets to use them effectively and for people to attend when the vial has been opened.

*huge sigh of relief*. Also, there's a fridge in HG1 that has vaccinations with Gracie's and Betsy's names on... so I can calm down a bit now :oops::oops:

Yes the bottles contain 50 doses and lasts 4 hours, so some vets are holding vaccination parties!

Its fine if there are practices with lots of rabbits needing vaccinations at the same time but I sadly doubt many small practices have many bunnies needing vaccinations at the same time and who can also attend the surgery at the same time round work commitments

Yes the bottles contain 50 doses and lasts 4 hours, so some vets are holding vaccination parties!

Its fine if there are practices with lots of rabbits needing vaccinations at the same time but I sadly doubt many small practices have many bunnies needing vaccinations at the same time and who can also attend the surgery at the same time round work commitments

God that's bad! Fifty doses in four hours:shock: - that's going to be impossible - I bet even my vets will struggle to get 50 done in 4 hours and they stand a much better chance than most. 10 or even 20 might be achievable for those without loads of rabbit clients but 50???

Back