• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ammonia smell in rabbit urine - seems excessive? :(

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all,
I was doing bunny laundry this morning (Mimzy lives on cotton towels since he cannot manage a litterbox with his bad hips) and was blown back by how strong the smell was of the spots he's wee'd on his towels. Normally, the smell of bunny urine is not too bad, even if I've not been able to get the the towels for a day, but this was just overnight and it was worse than the cat's litterbox can get at times. I am a bit concerned.
Mimzy is eating orchard grass and western timothy, Oxbow brand, and their line of supplements; joint, digestive, skin and coat, immune support and urinary health. He also has a small amount of kale (not even the palm of my hand sized) twice a day to eat with his metacam (0.5 mls twice a day). The only thing he's been given in the last few days that's different than usual is a small bit of mint and an Oxbow treat cookie once a day that has a strawberry/banana component. He seems to be drinking water well too.
None of these things are anything he hasn't had before, but I was distressed by the level of ammonia smell in his blankets. I just want to be sure that nothing untoward is going on. Obviously he's been on metacam for years so this could indicate a kidney issue, but now that I am cleaning out the other two, I think their urine smells a bit strong also, though not to the level of Mimzy's.
Does ammonia fluctuate wildly like this normally? I had it explained to me once about the ratio of nitrates being involved, but I just want to be certain it has no connection to illness.
Many thankies for any and all replies. :) xxxx

If the smell is unusually pungent it might indicate a problem, but it is impossible to say for certain. Is Mimz maintaining his weight ?
Sometimes a bacterial infection in the bladder can make the urine smell a lot more, as can dehydration, some dietary supplements and of course it can occur in cases of kidney problems.

Sorry I cant give a more specific answer, as Mimz is OK within himself I would just monitor the situation and if the strong smelling urine continues to be an issue then a Vet consult would be needed. Sending vibes that this wont be necessary xx

Thank you, Jane. I'll keep an eye (and a nostril) on the situation. :)
He does seem okay within himself. I do think his pain relief could be raised though. We're starting to get cooler here and he is apparently feeling the chill in the air, poor bub. :( I can sympathize, my bones really ache and getting out of bed in the morning is a real task.
I hope you are feeling okay. I've been thinking about you and sending healing vibes your way. xxxxxxx

Back