• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Evie has gone backwards :(

lauraj27

Warren Scout
Hi again

Posted last week about Evie, our snuffle bun.

She went to the vets on Monday and has been on Septrin (twice a day), Zantac(twice a day) , Metacam (once a day) and Metroclompide (three times a day; sorry if the spellings are wrong I'm bit panicked)

She has been good and eating her nuggets and hay since Monday night.

Tonight however, she is back to not eating!!!! There is a little discharge from her nose but nowhere near what it was on Saturday night.

We have given her the second doses of the medication and syringed some critical care into her to keep her gut functioning.

Checked on her a few minutes ago and she had done some droppings but they were small, sticky misshapen and appeared to have a small amount of white mucus on them.

When she had septrin as a baby bun, her tummy did react badly to it, she had very lose almost diarrhoea motions and I'm wondering whether the septrin may be making her tummy feel icky again.

She does seem to be drinking of her own accord which is something and she will be straight to the vets in the morning In the meantime if we could have some vibes that would be great as would some advice (I know that there was a suggestion that we enquire about bisolvon, which we will do.

Thanks!

Positive vibes to you both, hope Evie is well again soon! Sorry I can't offer any advice but I'm sure some of the more experienced bunny owners will be along soon :love:

Many many vibes for a speedy recovery. Is the septrin injected (was just wondering is she may have ingested some that upset her tummy). I reckon a call to the vet would be beneficial - see if they think change of abx might work. Good luck

Dear Laura,
I am so sorry about Evie because I had a snuffle bunny for many years.
CX (my avatar) spent half of his 13+ years on medications for snuffles. He would get better, and then worse. He became aneorexic several times. The worst time was when he had to be hand fed critical care for about three weeks. After the first week, he started to nibble a bit, but he was not eating enough to keep his weight so he was hand fed. He did not object, and actually enjoyed the feedings. Even though there was nothing on the X-rays to show tooth roots were causing a problem, he would sneeze a lot more when he was eating. I even tried changing his hay and sifting the fines out of his pellets to make sure he was not breathing in anything that was causing him to sneeze.
While it may not be your bunny's problem, when we tried Medicam the first time, he actually avoided food more. The same thing happened when he had some antibiotics. He was able to tolerate these things better when the dosages were lowered, or when the dosages were split after I consulted with my vet.

I am a believer in giving extra fluids to a bunny who is ill. Some bunnies tolerate wet greens well, but do not make any sudden diet changes when your bunny is already having problems. Some bunnies like to have water syringed into their mouth--slowly. Often I would resort to sub-Q fluids for an ill bunny. The additional fluids would help them clear any by-products of the medications, rehydrate any hard stool so it is easier to pass, and insure your bunny does not dehydrate-especially important during hot summer weather.

I hope Evie will be able to overcome her illness so you can have as many happy years with her as I had with CX (he went to the bridge December 27, 2014).

Massive vibes needed more than ever. Evie has been hospitalised. Her stomach is massively swollen as his her tongue and the latter has turned blue. She is struggling to breathe. She is on oxygen steroids and antiflammatories. Chance she wont make it through the night but even if she does if no improvement come morning she will be pts.

Massive vibes needed more than ever. Evie has been hospitalised. Her stomach is massively swollen as his her tongue and the latter has turned blue. She is struggling to breathe. She is on oxygen steroids and antiflammatories. Chance she wont make it through the night but even if she does if no improvement come morning she will be pts.

How awful to have her backslide so quickly. Sending you and Evie vibes that the vets will be able to diagnose/treat this serious issue. I hope you will not have to have her pts, and if it did come to that you are doing everything you can to get her to improve.

Does the vet given any indication of why she has so much swelling?

How awful to have her backslide so quickly. Sending you and Evie vibes that the vets will be able to diagnose/treat this serious issue. I hope you will not have to have her pts, and if it did come to that you are doing everything you can to get her to improve.

Does the vet given any indication of why she has so much swelling?

Unfortunately Evie passed away last night. I did misunderstand; her tummy wasn't swollen but her tongue was. Initially the vet thought she may have got something wrapped around her tongue but couldn't get a good look because of how swollen it was. She offered to put her under GA to try and get a better look but with Evie struggling to breathe it wasn't the best option. In any event I think it was unlikely she had got anything wrapped around her tongue as all she had access to was hay and water and we were syringe feeding her /medicating her. The vet also suggested it could have been an infection or an allergic reaction to one of the further medications she was given yesterday morning.

Back