• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nearly time to say 'goodbye' ?

My poor Pixie is in the vet again as she was having problems breathing as well as not eating too. Just had a call from the vet saying she's perky and comfortable but her chest is weak due to her hart murmur but her breathing is better than yesterday. they did xray her but not under a GA as her breathing was bad and this showed fluid on her lung. Vet sounded her chest again this morning and it's sounding much better. She can come home tonight but we'll need to keep a very close eye on her. She's been through so much this year as she lost lots of teeth but still managed to eat her favorite soaked porridge mixed with critical care, wheat bran and finely crushed up pellets. She's unable to eat anything else due to missing teeth. She's also developed a slight head tilt now which the vet thinks is an inner ear infection which she is having antibiotics for. We know her time is limited but we just want her to have the summer as it's her favorite time of the year but we won't continue if she's uncomfortable in anyway. Ohh gosh it's so hard as she's so full of little bunny beans and seems happy. She is on metacam, baytrill, emiprid, and a diretic (not sure of the name but is like Frusol). How far do I go with this, when should I make that terrible decision that I know so many of you have faced this year? It's so very hard isn't it but I know I would never keep her with us if I was doing it for my sake rather than hers. Her quality of life will come first however heard it is for me. Sorry for this sad message, my hart goes out to all RU followers that have had to deal with this for their bunnies this year, you really have to be so very strong don't you but it's so very hard.
The one thing that's keeping me going is although she's only 6yrs she's had the most amazing little life, we've given her everything she could have wished for, doted on and loved every day, she even a lovely husbun who is going to miss her terribly. xx

Sorry to hear Pixie has had to go to the Vets again. Only you will know when her time is up. Maybe bring her home and monitor her progress, if she is happy in herself then just take 1 day at a time but if she is not eating properly or if she seems quiet then perhaps this will be the time to let her go. It is very difficult.

My poor Pixie is in the vet again as she was having problems breathing as well as not eating too. Just had a call from the vet saying she's perky and comfortable but her chest is weak due to her hart murmur but her breathing is better than yesterday. they did xray her but not under a GA as her breathing was bad and this showed fluid on her lung. Vet sounded her chest again this morning and it's sounding much better. She can come home tonight but we'll need to keep a very close eye on her. She's been through so much this year as she lost lots of teeth but still managed to eat her favorite soaked porridge mixed with critical care, wheat bran and finely crushed up pellets. She's unable to eat anything else due to missing teeth. She's also developed a slight head tilt now which the vet thinks is an inner ear infection which she is having antibiotics for. We know her time is limited but we just want her to have the summer as it's her favorite time of the year but we won't continue if she's uncomfortable in anyway. Ohh gosh it's so hard as she's so full of little bunny beans and seems happy. She is on metacam, baytrill, emiprid, and a diretic (not sure of the name but is like Frusol). How far do I go with this, when should I make that terrible decision that I know so many of you have faced this year? It's so very hard isn't it but I know I would never keep her with us if I was doing it for my sake rather than hers. Her quality of life will come first however heard it is for me. Sorry for this sad message, my hart goes out to all RU followers that have had to deal with this for their bunnies this year, you really have to be so very strong don't you but it's so very hard.
The one thing that's keeping me going is although she's only 6yrs she's had the most amazing little life, we've given her everything she could have wished for, doted on and loved every day, she even a lovely husbun who is going to miss her terribly. xx

I really feel for you and Pixie at the moment. What a lovely little one she is, and full of little bunny beans - what a gorgeous expression!

The Frusol will be the diuretic. Is she on any other heart strengthening meds at the moment?

The head tilt, though yes it could be an ear infection, it could also have been a mini stroke, given her heart condition. I think it's a good idea to keep her on the Baytril and Metacam though.

I think that when she loses interest in food and remains hunched over or uncomfortable for more time than she is lively, then is the time to keep an eye. That may not be *the* time, as I find our bunnies fool us, and can rally again after a couple of weeks.

It's just taking each day as it comes, and thinking at the end of each one - 'Well Pixie had a good day today' ... and knowing that Pixie herself is doing nothing but enjoying the moment itself :D

My thoughts are with you both :love:

Hope beautiful Pixie can remain as happy and healthy as possible, for as long as possible bless her xxxxxx

If you look into Pixie's eyes they will tell you when she is needing to leave. That may be before she stops eating or shows any other 'obvious' sign of giving up. The eyes are the windows to the soul and that applies to animals as much as to humans. More so in my opinion.

I completely empathise with the situation you are having to face. Recently I have had to do the same for several of my Rabbits :cry: xx

Hi. Has your vet ever suggested Fortekor? My Opera had a cough for several years which never seemed to get better. We changed our vet and he suggested a chest xray. Opera had a hugely enlarged heart surrounded by fluid. She was 6yrs old. The vet put her on Fortekor tablets. Half a tablet a day. She lived a very much improved life for another 4 years. We lost her last year aged 10. I miss her so much but her life greatly improved with the medication. She was able to come upstairs under her own steam and did binkies and stayed incredibly clean right up to the end. All visitors fell in love with her and friends were equally as upset as us when her heart finally failed and she was pts.

Hi. Has your vet ever suggested Fortekor? My Opera had a cough for several years which never seemed to get better. We changed our vet and he suggested a chest xray. Opera had a hugely enlarged heart surrounded by fluid. She was 6yrs old. The vet put her on Fortekor tablets. Half a tablet a day. She lived a very much improved life for another 4 years. We lost her last year aged 10. I miss her so much but her life greatly improved with the medication. She was able to come upstairs under her own steam and did binkies and stayed incredibly clean right up to the end. All visitors fell in love with her and friends were equally as upset as us when her heart finally failed and she was pts.

Yes, Fortekor was what I was thinking when I mentioned 'heart strengthening meds'. It's often used in kidney failure, but is in actual fact a heart drug :D

You're all so very kind. I will ask the vet about the meds as you never know they may help : ))

She can come home later today which is great but I will keep a very close eye on her. I know this sounds odd but I think I'd rather make 'that decision' before she gets to a point where she's suffering and in too much pain. Then I can make sure I'm there at the end, holding her close to me so she's not stressed at all.

It's really the worst part of having animals but they really are worth it, I've lost count the amount of times they have all made me smile, especially Pixie and in an instant they have lighted my mood with the silly things they do. It's really only animals that have the ability to do this and I'm so grateful to have them in my life.

xxx

I know this sounds odd but I think I'd rather make 'that decision' before she gets to a point where she's suffering and in too much pain. Then I can make sure I'm there at the end, holding her close to me so she's not stressed at all.

I dont think it sounds odd at all. I think it is the most selfless and compassionate approach to the situation that we all dread having to face.

You're all so very kind. I will ask the vet about the meds as you never know they may help : ))

She can come home later today which is great but I will keep a very close eye on her. I know this sounds odd but I think I'd rather make 'that decision' before she gets to a point where she's suffering and in too much pain. Then I can make sure I'm there at the end, holding her close to me so she's not stressed at all.

It's really the worst part of having animals but they really are worth it, I've lost count the amount of times they have all made me smile, especially Pixie and in an instant they have lighted my mood with the silly things they do. It's really only animals that have the ability to do this and I'm so grateful to have them in my life.

xxx

I hope your vet thinks Pixie would benefit from the Fortekor. I know how you feel about your pets. We all feel such empathy and love and want to do our very best for them. I wish you lots of love, and luck and feeling better vibes for Pixie.

xxx

I think you're very wise to plan for something that's going to happen eventually. I would always want to be with my rabbits when they pass.

They certainly do contribute something very special to our lives. It's so hard to quantify, yet when I am apart from mine, I miss them so much :love:

Thinking of you and hope pixie can remain stable, regarding the time you will just know they kind of tell you

Time to say 'goodbye' - my darling has gone : (

We decided to let our lovely little darling Pixie go last night. She passed very quickly and peacefully. She was beginning to really struggle with life as it got to a point she could only eat mashed up apple in the end and we felt it was time to let her go. She had been on so many meds for so long this really took it's toll on her but she was so full of her little bunny beans we kept her going for as long as she was happy but at the weekend it was clear she wasn't her usual self and her breathing was much louder than usual. After a vet visit on Saturday we came home with yet more meds which did help her but we decided to give her everything she wanted all weekend and I took the day off yesterday and I made a fuss of her all day long which she loved. She also had masses of mashed up apple every hour which she totally loved too. I am missing her so much already, things just don't seem the same in the garden as there's a large 'gap' out there. Her boyfriend is ok at the moment but I will keep a close eye on him. I arranged for her to be individually cremated so I'm hoping to have a little casket back asap this week. So sad but we had 6 lovely years with her, she was a total delight to own, a real pleasure of a little bunny, always so happy no matter what life through at her. God bless my darling sweetheart, sleep tight little one. :love:

So very sorry it was time to say goodbye to Pixie. We all know and dread the moment. You did your very best and gave her a lovely, happy, peaceful end. That's all we can ever hope to do. Bless her. xxxx

It sounds like you timed everything perfectly for Pixie . I'm sorry for your loss. Sleep tight little one x

I'm sorry for your loss. You have given Pixie every care and consideration throughout her life. You were privileged to have each other. xx

Back