• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tunnels and foxproofing

Rhian33

Warren Veteran
Just wondered if there was any info out there regarding how fox proof the tunnel connectors available from various suppliers actually are?

I have a very short tunnel (probably about a foot max) connecting my shed and aviary. I'm not too concerned as it is so short it is quite sturdy so is unlikely to loosen too much from the fixings because of this or be pulled away by a fox.

My question is more about the longer type that people use. I'm considering at some point in the future connecting my set-up to a further run which potentially could be moved around the grass,but that would require a long pipe and I am concerned that it may not be particularly fox proof. Access would only be given during the day with it being on grass (the original set-up is 96sqft so I won't be locking them in a tiny enclosure) but wanted to see what other people's experiences and opinions were regarding their safety.

A fox would have a hard time with ours: they're pretty heavy, quite well rammed and screwed in and are designed to have a thick layer of concrete, or hardcore and tarmac, over the top (and then probably traffic) as they're cable ducting tubes. So they're tough as well.

Ours are currently out while we're home only too: we have an open-topped pen on the grass. We will have 24hr access via long tunnels when the better run arrives though. I'm a bit concerned about where I'm going to thread a tube through on that run but we'll cross that bridge later.

I'm nervous about them, as I had a fox try and get into my accommodation last year, and the fox did manage to pull the tunnel out of its fixings. (there's some photos somewhere on here from last year). To be fair, I did have the earliest version of the runaround and the fixings are different and more solid now, but I still find that the tunnel itself gets pliable at the end over time especially if the set up is moved around. There were some puncture marks in the tunnel so the fox did try to get into the tunnel but didn't succeed - it's just that it did manage to pull it out of the fixings so if the tunnel had been open at the time, the bunnies could have got out through the hole. Personally if I was using a runaround or similar as a permanent thing, I would enclose it in wooden boxing so that it's got a second layer of defence around it.

I bought the run around system for my rabbits, I never got as far putting it all up as when the rabbits were outside a fox visited regularly, digging, pooing generally stinking the place up. I got a bit freaked out and brought them in. Then the other night - well couple of weeks ago now a fox came in to the conservatory! I had had the rabbits and piggies in there during the day whilst sorting a problem with the run, I suppose as the carriers were there that attracted the fox. The door is often open cos of the dogs and even that didn't put it off!

It really frightened me. I am completely stuck now as to what to do with them. I am fairly sure the run around is safe and secure in terms of a fox not being able to get up the tunnel or bite through but the foxes here seem so brazen.

I remembered your post which is one reason I asked Santa. It's not the tubes as such which concern me it's more then ends and joins as I do plan to move the run around the garden so there's fresh grass to munch. I'm not concerned about the tube I currently have as I said as it very well supported being so short but I do wonder how safe the longer lengths are particularly with moving them around.

Back