• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fostering Bunnies

MrsDownTheRabbitHole

Warren Scout
Hi guys, i'm considering fostering bunnies and was wondering if anyone has any experience fostering or some details they think i should know to share while i'm trying to decide if fostering would be right for me. Thanks in advance xx

Hi guys, i'm considering fostering bunnies and was wondering if anyone has any experience fostering or some details they think i should know to share while i'm trying to decide if fostering would be right for me. Thanks in advance xx

Have you contacted a Rescue and offered your services?

Have you got space/facilities, or will they be provided by the Rescue?

How are they to be advertised? Do you have free rein to do that, and do you do the home checks?

What about vet visits? Do they have one on site, or will they be covered in full?

Just a few random thoughts .......

Hiya,

I foster through the RSPCA, it's greatly rewarding and although sad when they go it's great to see them off to a new home. I was told by the RSPCA to keep them totally separate from anywhere my buns go in case of things like E cuniculi and things like that (She'd had a bad experience). So they're in a totally separate parts of the house with different play area's. On average ours have been rehomed within a couple of months. The RSPCA are pretty good at taking a break for holidays and things.

I love doing it.

Hope that helps

Sarah x

Hi

I foster for the RSPCA too, I have fostered for two different branches before. The first one I was given more reign to advertise etc, as the bunny I was fostering was a really long stay bunny (the branch don't usually use fosterers, but I had adopted from them before and they knew me). I advertised her and she went to a member on here :D I provided accommodation and paid for all food, hay etc and drove her back to the branch if necessary. I could have claimed for hay, food and petrol but felt wrong to do so. I would have claimed for any vet bills due, but luckily she never needed the vet whilst with me. She was with me for nearly 1.5 years and went back to branch when I went away (and moved house!)

Earlier this year I started fostering for a different branch of the RSPCA, this time I provided the accommodation (although they would have bought it for me if I had needed it). I have had 4 foster bunnies so far, two singles and currently have a pair. Again, I pay for food, petrol etc (although sometimes buns are dropped at mine or bunny runned over) but would claim for any vet bills. The bunnies I have looked after were for shorter periods of time, perhaps 3 months or so. The two I've got now are older and both black so I fear I may have them for some time :( The buns are advertised and re-homed by the co-ordinator, I don't advertise them for her (she does bonding for the RSPCA too).

Back