• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Creating Lops Breeding Only Normal Eared Rabbits?

Ivanka

New Kit
Hi all I am from South Africa and we have a strict no rabbit import law here and I am wondering how it is possible to breed all normal eared rabbits to eventually create lops? I love my bunnies and I breed all my rabbits in healthy clean environments and keep everyone in good health, I do not breed for profit either. What kind of characteristics would I need to look for in my rabbits? Any help or tips are appreciated. Is there a specific breed that might work better for this? Rabbit breeds that I can get include Flemish giants, Netherland dwarf, Californian, English, new Zealand red, new Zealand white, cinnamon and silverfox. If there are breeders with family experience with lops I would appreciate if you too have some advice. Thanks :)

We're pet owners rather than breeders on this forum so, I'd suggest trying one of the rabbit breeding associations, there is the British Rabbit Council - www.thebrc.org and American Rabbit Breeder Association. https://www.arba.net/

Keep in mind lop eared rabbits are associated with a lot of teeth problems which cause ill health because of the change in skull shape, so that's something to research.

Back