• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So I'm going on holiday... Sonic's gone for his holidays too!

supersonic

Mama Doe
And the pets (rabbit and guinea) are going to stay with my grandma and grandad.

The guinea will be fine. He's short sighted and hard of hearing, but is loving life and loves a cuddle and lots of food.

The rabbit on the other hand... I'm a bit worried about him. He's the sweetest, most well behaved, charismatic bunny when he's home. He's protective and amusing, and will stay put because we feed him and he's happy here.

But I'm worried about the whole thing. I don't know whether it would be better to put him in a dark box or have him on my knee for the journey? (I won't be driving!)

We're taking their hutches to my grandparents, then bedding them and then moving the pets. Is it best just to leave him to get used to a knew place, or should I stay with him a while?

They have a pretty secure garden, however I'm pretty sure Sonic could find a way out if he wanted to, so they're borrowing a small run. He's never been in a run before, he's always had run of the garden. Should I sit in the run with him for a while?

I know my grandparents will look after them, I have no doubt about that, but he's a very specific rabbit, he likes me and not very many other people... although he does cope when I'm at uni.

Any tips or reassurance? I'm starting to get a bit nervous, and feeling like I shouldn't be going on holiday!

Last edited:
We used to take Charlie round to the neighbours': it was a 5min walk so we carried him in the hutch. There were dogs and cats at the house but he was unfazed. We used to have tea with them for about an hour during which time he usually settled: they had him for 3-4 weeks and he was fine every time.

I would take him round, however you decide, and leave him to it for a couple of hours, see if he's OK. If he still seems a bit weirded out after that time, maybe sit with him for a bit? Aboleth was a bit weirded out when she moved in but Lopsy's the most outgoing attention(/food)-seeking little critter I know, but even she was OK after a couple of hours: out exploring. But we did leave her to it, we didn't fuss over her too much :) Nor did Lopsy ;P

I wish we could take him in the hutch, but we'll be moving them in the van which is quite noisy, so I'd rather he be with me. I'm not carrying their hutches up the park! :lol:

He knows them, which puts my mind at rest a little. I'm sure when he's in his own hutch he'll settle down. I'll go round to see if he's ok in the evening too.

My main worry is that they'll decide to let him in the house, assuming he's happily sit on their knee. He doesn't like sitting on knees, so he'd no doubt escape and run riot :roll: they'd be exhausted!

My main worry is that they'll decide to let him in the house, assuming he's happily sit on their knee. He doesn't like sitting on knees, so he'd no doubt escape and run riot :roll: they'd be exhausted!
Get them to watch Watership Down and tell them that's what REAL rabbits are like XD Put me off EVER picking mine up for cuddles, poor things! None of my 3 rabbits get/got picked up: I'm bad at it and it seems unnecessary (except when it actually is necessary and then it's a stressful palaver for all involved but that's a thread in itself!).

Get them to watch Watership Down and tell them that's what REAL rabbits are like XD Put me off EVER picking mine up for cuddles, poor things! None of my 3 rabbits get/got picked up: I'm bad at it and it seems unnecessary (except when it actually is necessary and then it's a stressful palaver for all involved but that's a thread in itself!).

I've never watched it myself! I can't bring myself to do it :lol: He likes a minutes fuss at the most... I'm sure he'll be fine, he just won't get any peace and quiet or time alone from the two over friendly grandparents :roll:

He's all set up at my grandparents house now :)

It was much easier than I thought. I had his lead on, just in case he jumped out of my arms, but he was very good and sat on my knee the whole time. He did try to compensate for any corners we turned by leaning his entire body :lol:

As soon as we got there, he had a hop round the garden investigating his holiday home and said hello to grandma and grandad, then made sure the guinea was ok. When I put him in his hutch, he realised it was his house and started eating straight away :) I'm going round again this evening just to check on him, but I'm sure he's fine and he'll get spoilt rotten!

:) glad the journey went okay. I think often we worry about stressing them out and end up far more stressed ourselves than they ever would have been!

:) glad the journey went okay. I think often we worry about stressing them out and end up far more stressed ourselves than they ever would have been!

Absolutely! I went round to see him tonight and when I got there he was munching away. I had a little stroke and he licked my hand then went back to nibbling, so I was definitely worrying over nothing! It was almost as if he was saying "I can look after myself you know, you don't have to worry..."

He's got a lovely shady, quiet patch at the back of the garden, so he'll be having a nice relaxed holiday too, no doubt grandma will sneak him extra food here or there :lol:

He's got a lovely shady, quiet patch at the back of the garden, so he'll be having a nice relaxed holiday too, no doubt grandma will sneak him extra food here or there :lol:
LMAO one of my friends gave Lopsy two scoops of pellets when he was on 1/2 a scoop :lol:

Back