• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've taken on a Conti, advice needed regarding previous owner

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
After a discussion with the vet last week I decided to start searching for a new friend for Chloe. After having no success in finding any giants available in local rescues I ran a search on Preloved and came across an ad for a 15 month old male Conti needing a home. The description was very brief and it basically stated they needed him gone asap. I gave the owner a call and arranged to go and see him straight away.

I was feeling quite tearful on the way there, I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing by getting another rabbit so soon and just kept thinking about Barney. I had to keep reminding myself that I was doing it for Chloe.

As me and my boyfriend pulled up to the house I spotted 'BEWARE OF THE DOG' scrawled across the fence in huge letters. This made me very anxious. I just got the impression it was going to be very grim inside - and it was. A lady greeted us at the door and invited us inside. As we entered the house the smell of rabbit urine hit us straight away, it was really overpowering. The lady apologised and claimed the bunnies were 'due to be cleaned out'. We were led into a room with three giant rabbits, one male and two female. The male was in a hutch, approx 4.5ft which was in a filthy state. The females were in indoor rabbit cages that were probably a little smaller than the hutch and too were filthy. I took a guess that the rabbits were probably used for breeding, although I did not see any babies whilst I was there. I decided I wanted to get the male out of there, he looked healthy enough despite having a nail covered in blood, so I asked my boyfriend to go and get the carrier from the car.

As I was getting ready to leave the lady began to talk about some of her other rabbits including one she lost the week previously due to the heat. This confused me slightly as I don't remember it being hot at all that week, in fact I'm sure it was pretty chilly. She then told me she found one of her rabbits had been strangled to death and left in her bin. I found it all a bit bizarre to be honest with you, I just wanted to get out of there. I was only sorry I couldn't take the other bunnies with me too.

As for my new adoptee Dave :lol: He's settled in really well and has been vaccinated and health checked by the vet and weighs 6.6kg. He is currently being treated for mites and also has sore hocks, his right hock is particularly bad. I am planning on booking him in for his neuter this Thursday. He looks exactly like Barney, not what I'd have gone for ideally but it is what it is.

I am thinking of reporting the lady to the RSPCA, what do you guys think?

So pleased that you have got him out of there, poor boy. I would say yes, report her ! I know it must be hard getting another bun, after losing lovely Barney, but I'm sure Chloe will thank you. Hope he goes on ok xxx

It doesn't sound great, I'd give the RSPCA a call and give them the information and they can decide whether it's something they could act on. It could be the lady wants to get rid of them all anyway and the RSPCA could help rehome them.

I hope Dave settles in well :)

Well done on rescuing Dave and for being brave throughout - it couldn't have been easy for you. I hope it all goes well with Dave and Chloe.

Dave!!! :lol:

I hope he settles.

And yes, I'd tell the RSPCA. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave is a great name: I have a 52mm-scale genestealer called Dave (some of you will see the hilarity in that, I'm sure ;P). He DOES look like a Barney stunt-double, doesn't he! Mental. Looks happy though, with his radars on the alert,and a quizzical eyebrow!

Dave is a great name: I have a 52mm-scale genestealer called Dave (some of you will see the hilarity in that, I'm sure ;P). He DOES look like a Barney stunt-double, doesn't he! Mental. Looks happy though, with his radars on the alert,and a quizzical eyebrow!

He really does, his ears are a little wider and eyes a little rounder though :)

Back