• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New bunny in hospital!!!!

Bunny Boo.

Warren Scout
Ok, so I will try and turn a very long story into a reasonably short one!
I decided that My may needs a companion, So after weeks of discussions with my other half I decided that i would like to get a conti buck as they are one of my favourite breeds, I purchased a new set up for him as I want to get him neutered before i try and bonded them. So already to go! Off i go yesterday to a breeder that i did research on really liked the bunny that he had left (only saw pictures), all the other kits had been sold. He is 4 months old which is great as i wanted an older baby as May is nearly 8 Months now . Arrived at his house, received a very warm welcome, lots of rabbits to been seen, then i spot him!! He got him out of his SMALL run carried him over to the grass and put him down, my face dropped, my big conti boy looked awful! he says to me I'm not sure if he's lazy or not well!!!!!:censored: He said he has always been a very laid back boy so he couldn't tell if he was ill or just his way!!!:censored: He looked very ill. Ive not seen a rabbit look so thin, he is emaciated ( i can count all his ribs and feel all his spine right down to his hips). His coat is rotten, his bum dirty and he had a funny smell. At this point I'm ready to cry.:( He then proceeds to tell me that he's not bothered if i take him as he will keep him and breed from him!!:evil: This rabbit can barely move. He says i can take him and not pay anything for him and if he dies then i can go back and he will sort me out with something else but if in a few days he looks better then i can forward on a cheque. At this point my head is telling me to leave but my heart didn't. So the heart won!!! I scoped him up put him in my carrier drove him home, settled him in at home and watched him like a hawk for the next 12 hrs and decided first thing this morning to take him straight to my emergency vet. That is where he is now! Waiting for a call to tell me how he is, the vet was shocked at how thin he is, She said his stomach felt doughy which is good although on listening very little movement, his teeth will need attention by the looks of things because he hasn't been eating properly for a while, will sort this when he is better. His temperature was sky high, she did it twice as she didn't believe it the first time!:shock: So as it stands he has an infection, not sure how long he has had it, some time i think, this would explain the lethargic manner he has and the lack of interest in food, i told them to keep him in give him what ever he needs. I've fallen in love with him already! The breeder would not have taken him to the vets, otherwise he would have done so already, he would have left him to get on with it! He already informed me on my way out the door that he hadn't vaccinated him, infact he hadn't vaccinated any of his rabbits as this would be far to exspensive!!! :censored: This is not how i imagined my weekend was going to be:cry: I am gratefully in the fact that i found him and i will do my best for him, he is so sweet and if i can get him better he will be a stunner. We have named him Custard.;) So everyone please cross your fingers for him.:(

Aww, that's awful. I'd suggest reporting the breeder to the RSPCA. I'm not sure whether they'll be able to use evidence from your vet but they could at least check the breeders other rabbits over and make sure they don't have any others in need of vet attention.

I hope the vet is able to help him :)

Aww, that's awful. I'd suggest reporting the breeder to the RSPCA. I'm not sure whether they'll be able to use evidence from your vet but they could at least check the breeders other rabbits over and make sure they don't have any others in need of vet attention.

I hope the vet is able to help him :)

Thank you, i so hope he pulls through! I will be giving them a call, from what i could see they looked ok!! although seem to be a lot of rabbits in a small space!! :cry:

Yeah as Tamsin said, may be worth reporting the breeder. But in the meantime hope Custard will be ok.

Healing vibes for Custard. Thank you for taking him. I think none of us members could walk away. You must report the breeder to the RSPCA. Think of the other poor buns. At least your bun will have a health history from the vet. Pity he didn't take any money and you could have a receipt. Hopefully something good will come out of this.

Aww poor wee mite.... I hope he recovers with love and care...

Breeders can be so unscrupulous, I hope you do report it to the RSPCA, that's dreadful

Lots of love
fee x

Words almost fail me. Absolutely shocking. No, I couldn't have walked away either - I wish people buying from breeders would take a look at this thread.
I do hope Custard recovers: he is certainly getting the best of care now, thanks to you. Please report to the RSPCA.

Thank you every one for your comforting words, have just spoken to the vet and he has been an angel to deal with today, they have given him fluids, antibiotics, anti inflammatory's and have been syringe feeding him. Every time the vet goes and checks on himto maybe give a gut stimulate he starts eating hay! But she has decided he's not eating enough so he's having the injection as we speak! They will continue to syringe feed over night and I'm to call at 09.00 in the morning! Happy that he is much more comfortable, just hope tonight goes well.

Awful and as said above, please report him with a vet certificate to support your action. The authorities must stop this breeder to continue his deadly business. Poor little thing, keep our fingers crossed for him. How lucky in his misery, he is to have found you coming his way. Im really chocked by this kind of people. In France it is the same problem with an increasing number of people who do not care about animals and sell, sell, sell dogs, cats, rabbits, rodents, exoctic species and so on. Thank you so much for rescueing this poor little chap ..

Last edited:
Poor poor bunny, but he's found you now, and sending all the vibes in the world that the vet can sort him out. Gentle nose rubs Custard, you're safe now little man xxxx

I'm so proud that he has been an angel and gone with what the vet and nurses have been doing with him, although I'm sure he really didn't have the fight left in him!! I think that given a day or two he would not have been here!:cry:But i think we have got to him in time and with all the care he is receiving and loving vibes everyone is sending him he has a fighting chance. :love: Thank you everyone.

PS re the 'eating hay' - if they are annoyed - which they usually are at the vet - they often take up hay and toss it around or just break a strand in two and drop it - If a vet nurse or vet happens to see then with a strand in their mouth they often assume its being eaten when in fact its just an annoyance thing so do triple check they have actually seen the hay going down and not just being broken in two in the mouth (and the dropped).

It is a wildie response when ill to appear to eat something - as it stops a predator thinking they look ill and weak and picking on them. So they will appear to graze - the hay tossing appears to be part of this . . .

PS re the 'eating hay' - if they are annoyed - which they usually are at the vet - they often take up hay and toss it around or just break a strand in two and drop it - If a vet nurse or vet happens to see then with a strand in their mouth they often assume its being eaten when in fact its just an annoyance thing so do triple check they have actually seen the hay going down and not just being broken in two in the mouth (and the dropped).

It is a wildie response when ill to appear to eat something - as it stops a predator thinking they look ill and weak and picking on them. So they will appear to graze - the hay tossing appears to be part of this . . .

Thank you for your well wishes and i will make sure they are observing him actually eating the hay!! She did say that he hadn't eaten enough and was going to inject him with a gut stimulant and syringe feed him over night so lets hope come morning he will be feeling better.

Sadly breeders of all animals ,puppy farms etc don't give a damn about the poor creatures, all they are interested in is money.makes me so angry! :evil:

Oh Custard!! Nose rubs for you. Come on boy, you are out of that hell hole and therefore, over the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back