• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to store willow branches?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Hi guys

Does anyone know the best way to store willow branches?

My lovely neighbour has been pruning her willow tree and she's given me about 6 willow branches, obviously I only give the bunnies a little at a time so need to store the rest somehow .....even in water the leaves dry out very quickly.

Are they ok to eat dried? If so, is my best bet to just let them dry out on the windowsill and feed them dried?

Can they eat the branches dried?

Thanks v.much in advance.

Jo x

Yep they can eat leaves and branches dried :D They tend to prefer it fresh but dried is fine too. I find it easiest to hang it in bunches so that the air circulates around it nicely, I guess it depends how big the branches are.

Yeah like Santa said, dried is fine, I dried a whole lot before, they still love them. of course they prefer fresh, but as you noticed fresh doesn't stay fresh for long. I wonder if you can do the same with them as I did with the pear branches I had, I dried half and the other half I stored in airtight containers in the fridge, and they stayed fresh for a long time.

the other half I stored in airtight containers in the fridge, and they stayed fresh for a long time.

Ooh that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of doing that - would be a useful thing to do for if we go away overnight and someone is coming in to feed the animals :D

That's brilliant thanks very much, I now have some drying and some in the fridge ......and of course the bunnies have had some. :D

Back