• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help. Snuffles and not eating

lauraj27

Warren Scout
Hi

Evie is a snuffle bun and we have managed it with red raspberry leaf and echinacea drops in her water. However last night when we went to feed her she wasn't interested in her food and sneezed an awful lot, producing white discharge from her nose; there hasn't been any discharge from her eyes.

Brought her inside to see if there was any change but after about an hour nothing. We took a trip to the emergency vet who checked her over fully and her lungs and tummy all sounded ok and no sign of a blockage

The vet gave her three injections: Depocillin (antibiotic; which we were told would last for 7 days), metacam and metoclopramide.

The vet has also given us a bottle of metacam and metoclopramide as well as critical care food, however I was just wondering if there is anything else we can do as Evie still isn't 100% and not really interested in any of her normal food/hay/treats and I'm at a bit of a loss of how else to help her.

Thanks

Poor Evie, If she's got a snotty nose then she won't be able to smell anything. You'll just have to keep on with the meds and critical care and keep an eye on her until things start to improve. Good luck. Get well soon Evie. xxxx

Hi

Evie is a snuffle bun and we have managed it with red raspberry leaf and echinacea drops in her water. However last night when we went to feed her she wasn't interested in her food and sneezed an awful lot, producing white discharge from her nose; there hasn't been any discharge from her eyes.

Brought her inside to see if there was any change but after about an hour nothing. We took a trip to the emergency vet who checked her over fully and her lungs and tummy all sounded ok and no sign of a blockage

The vet gave her three injections: Depocillin (antibiotic; which we were told would last for 7 days), metacam and metoclopramide.

The vet has also given us a bottle of metacam and metoclopramide as well as critical care food, however I was just wondering if there is anything else we can do as Evie still isn't 100% and not really interested in any of her normal food/hay/treats and I'm at a bit of a loss of how else to help her.

Thanks

I have never heard of a Depocillin injection lasting more than 2/3 days. Where do they get these magic antibiotics from, I wonder :?

I have never heard of a Depocillin injection lasting more than 2/3 days. Where do they get these magic antibiotics from, I wonder :?

That's what I was wondering! Anyway I hope you can get on top of the Snuffles, it's not very nice for a bunny. You don't use wood shavings do you as this is bad for them?

Unfortunately, the emergency vet wasn't our normal vet and we did ask about three times whether 7 days was accurate. However, if we are still not happy with her come tomorrow morning she will be going to our normal vet who is thankfully very bunny savy!

The discharge from her nose has been a little less today and she doesn't sound as bunged up as she did last night. Hard to judge if she is improving as after we have given the critical care she goes and sulks for a good while and before we know it, its time for another feed which results in more sulking!

We try to avoid using wood shavings as much as possible with her (the other buns have it in their cages) but Evie doesn't get them.

She had bad "snuffles" when we first got her as a baby bun but it got better over a month or so and as I said we manage it with herbal remedies but this is the first time she has had a flare up in four years and it seems to be quite bad if she's off her food.

I'm just terrified that there is something we are missing or some other medication she should be having and petrified that we might lose her as we lost one bun to stasis a couple of years back.

Unfortunately, the emergency vet wasn't our normal vet and we did ask about three times whether 7 days was accurate. However, if we are still not happy with her come tomorrow morning she will be going to our normal vet who is thankfully very bunny savy!

The discharge from her nose has been a little less today and she doesn't sound as bunged up as she did last night. Hard to judge if she is improving as after we have given the critical care she goes and sulks for a good while and before we know it, its time for another feed which results in more sulking!

We try to avoid using wood shavings as much as possible with her (the other buns have it in their cages) but Evie doesn't get them.

She had bad "snuffles" when we first got her as a baby bun but it got better over a month or so and as I said we manage it with herbal remedies but this is the first time she has had a flare up in four years and it seems to be quite bad if she's off her food.

I'm just terrified that there is something we are missing or some other medication she should be having and petrified that we might lose her as we lost one bun to stasis a couple of years back.

I'm sorry you're in a panic. Make sure you have a good vet on board (somewhere!) and try not to take all the responsibility on yourself. We do pay vets handsomely for a good reason :D

At least you're on tha ball, hope the vet can give you some more guidance and help...

Noserubs being sent

Fee x

Help Snuffles and not eating UPDATE

*****UPDATE*****

Evie still isn't eating by herself; she is sort of interested in the hay, going up to it nudging it sticking her nose in it but no chomping.

OH took her to our usual bunny savy vet this morning. Teeth, gut and lungs are all fine.

OH told me she's been given something to help with her nose (didn't say what though!!) and they syringe fed some more food as I am at work and can't get home to help do it.

OH also said he's been given some septrin to help with her nose.

Please can we have lots of vibes.....

*****UPDATE*****

Evie still isn't eating by herself; she is sort of interested in the hay, going up to it nudging it sticking her nose in it but no chomping.

OH took her to our usual bunny savy vet this morning. Teeth, gut and lungs are all fine.

OH told me she's been given something to help with her nose (didn't say what though!!) and they syringe fed some more food as I am at work and can't get home to help do it.

OH also said he's been given some septrin to help with her nose.

Please can we have lots of vibes.....

Yes, lots of vibes coming from over here :love:

Septrin is good. You could also bear in mind to ask the vet at some stage about BISOLVON. It dilutes the mucous and makes it easier to pass.

lots of vibes being sent. have you considered nebulising? it was one of the best things we did for matt as part of his overall snuffle routine.

Yes; she is on 0.8ml of metacam per day (she weighs 2.21kg), 1ml of metroclompide 3 times per day and OH has told now told me the vet has also given us zantac in addition to the septrin.

Difficult to tell if she is improving as she is circumspect of us due to having so many syringes put in her mouth and stops doing what she's doing when she sees us and goes and hides in her bolt hole.

Vets have said to ease up with the feeding so that she starts to eat for herself so instead of feeding her every 4 hours to try every 6 hours as obviously if she feels full from the syringe food she won't want to eat normal food but then agin we need to give her syringe food because she isn't eating normally. Hope that makes sense as I am a little sleep deprived!

***UPDATE****

Evie has chewed a little bit of hay of her own accord and has also had a few of her evening nuggets.

Still early days but some chewing is better than none

***UPDATE***

Before we went to bed last night we had a peak at her and she bopped across the floor to reveal a pile of sticky gloopy mucus covered poops. They didn't look especially healthy but some poop is better than none and given that she has pretty much only been having syringe food since Saturday night her poops were never going to be great.

This morning there were more poops, they were golden brown but quite small and some were misshapen, they were soft and not rock hard. Again given the lack of solid food she has had and the amount of meds being pumped into her I'm not expecting perfect poops to be coming through just yet but I'm just grateful her gut hasn't stopped working.

She's still not quite 100% there and occasionally goes and hides in her bolthole but she is chewing a little now and again. Still early days but hopefully we are moving in the right direction.

biscandmatt1, could you tell me how to nebulise a rabbit please? I think it may help my Cwtch, TIA

This is one method that Rabbit Residence uses, using a battery powered nebuliser. The bunny in the box has a blanket to sit on and some yummy dried dandelion to keep them busy, and breathing. They also use inhalers with a little face mask but have seen a couple of bunnies who have it done regularly learn a trick to hold their breath when it gets put over their nose!!

11265116_10152861905567686_7228146137805621241_n.jpg

Back