• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tail injury

maxbun

Warren Scout
I went to let Millie and Lynx out in the run this morning and on checking Millie she had something stuck under her tail. I pulled it off and immediately noticed a nasty wound had opened up beneath her tail. I still don't know whether it was me who caused it or whether she had injured it during the night. :(. I managed to get an emergency appointment and she has had to have surgery. The vet was concerned about an anaesthetic as she is over 10 now, but thankfully she came round ok. She has had to have her tail amputated as there was insufficient skin to hold the wound together. Just wondering whether any one has experience as to how their rabbit managed after surgery of this type. Also, they live in a shed, having free run of it and the vet suggested keeping Millie in a smaller hutch for a couple of days to closely monitor her input and output. Should I keep them apart, or shall I put Lynx in the hutch with her. Any advice would be appreciated.

How do you think she got injuried ? No sharp piece of material anywhere ? Glass, wood, metal ... Do they both get on ok together ?

Poor Millie. Good job you got her to the vet and she recovered from the anaesthetic. Can't you bring them both indoors? Keeping Millie separate but close to Lynx then you can keep an eye on them. There are loads of flies about. That sounds a serious wound.

They get on really well and have been together for 8 years without any problems. I think I will bring them inside tonight so I can keep an eye on her. Good news is she is eating and drinking already.

Millie has been a star she is eating and drinking well. Popped her in the run for an hour in the sunshine and she ate the grass as though she hadn't been out for ages!! Wound looks.nice and clean too. Keeping my fingers crossed for continued recovery.

Good news, she is on the way to recover. Yes flies are a pest here too. Never seen so many (lack of natural predators)

Back