• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Star has flystrike!

JosieLiz

Young Bun
Hi, on Wednesday I noticed something wrong with Star, I picked her up and examined her. I noticed she had what looked like a wound on her side and there were maggots in it! I told my mum straight away and we immediately took her to the vet. There was a vet waiting for us. The vet shaved her and removed all the maggots, also gave her painkillers and antibiotics. They told us that it was 50/50 and she may not survive the night. But she has survived! It is Friday now and she seems to be doing really well! She is inside at the moment as the vet said to keep her in until her wounds are fully healed. I just took her to the vet today and the vet was really pleased with her progress and her wounds are doing well. No maggots. Star has been hopping around, eating and seems very bright in herself, she has also been playing with a wicker ball I brought her. I know she is not out of the woods yet, so if you could think of Star and pray for a full recovery, would be great. I was so upset, just hope she recovers.

Get well Star. That was good work by you to spot it and get Star to the vets so quickly. You've given her a great chance of recovery, I hope she's okay.

How awful it must have been for you. .fly strike is one of my greatest fears.
So pleased Star is recovering and huge vibes for her.
Xxx

:love:.. Vibes and Noserubs for wee Star...

Flystrike is a horrific condition..... I hope there's no recurrence..

Love
Fee xxx

Sending lots of get well soon vibes for little Star, so glad you were able to get her to the vets and treated quickly xx

Hi, on Wednesday I noticed something wrong with Star, I picked her up and examined her. I noticed she had what looked like a wound on her side and there were maggots in it! I told my mum straight away and we immediately took her to the vet. There was a vet waiting for us. The vet shaved her and removed all the maggots, also gave her painkillers and antibiotics. They told us that it was 50/50 and she may not survive the night. But she has survived! It is Friday now and she seems to be doing really well! She is inside at the moment as the vet said to keep her in until her wounds are fully healed. I just took her to the vet today and the vet was really pleased with her progress and her wounds are doing well. No maggots. Star has been hopping around, eating and seems very bright in herself, she has also been playing with a wicker ball I brought her. I know she is not out of the woods yet, so if you could think of Star and pray for a full recovery, would be great. I was so upset, just hope she recovers.

So sorry to hear this, but what a brave and strong little bunny you have! A treasure to be sure :D

Lots of love and vibes to help Star along her healing path :love:

Update on Star, she is still with us and, despite her wounds, seems back to her normal self. The vet has given me a solution to bathe her wounds with, I then need to dry the area and apply a special cream. I do this everyday. She also has antibiotics twice daily. The vet said she has to stay indoors for 2-3 weeks. Thank you for the support, I was so upset when I found the fly strike that I was shaking.

Well done for spotting that there was something wrong with your bunny and sending prayers and vibes for her speedy recovery.

Thank goodness you spotted this so quickly and were able to take action! My rabbits are indoor buns but I'm still terrified of fly strike! Sending lots of love to little Star xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a bit worried about Star. I have to give her antibiotics by mouth twice daily, but she hates it. She hates it when I bathe her wounds with the solution the vet gave me too, but she does not seem to mind the cream. I'm worried that I might be hurting her.

Quite a few of us put the abx onto something the bunny likes, but If you can administer it orally then it is much better, so do try to keep going. I know it isn't easy especially when you are on your own. The same applies to washing the wound. How does it look now, has it healed more since going to the Vets?

I'm a bit worried about Star. I have to give her antibiotics by mouth twice daily, but she hates it. She hates it when I bathe her wounds with the solution the vet gave me too, but she does not seem to mind the cream. I'm worried that I might be hurting her.

There may be an argument now for letting the wound dry? Things often heal faster that way.

Back