• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We found our bunny! Only 5 weeks! *pic*

Axeria

Warren Scout
Today we visited a family that is re-selling a 5 week old kit, he is a holland lop with pedigree. we are bringing him home as soon as we have set up the cage and gotten everything in order. I asked about why they are selling him and it is because they wanted a girl instead. So this little guy is coming to live with us, even tho he is so very, very young. He have lived with them a week. I asked about why he was sold that young and was told that they had beed told by the breeder that this is the normal age to sell kits, I was quite appaled by that really, I thought they where supposed to stay with their mom until 8 weeks of age.

Anyway, he will recieve the best care at our house, living as a indoor rabbit in a big puppypen. We are also setting up a big steel dogcage that will be the base of his home with the pen added on, the dogcrate will get a second floor added on and will contain all the necessities. I have read some about caring for small rabbits, but any tips wil be highly appriciated :)

Also we are still pondering names, we are thinking of Eddie, Ricky or Aaron, but we cant really decide yet.

Here is a picture of him:

image.jpg1_zpsouvycc6c.jpg

Wow that is young to be taken from his mum. Ah he is very cute and will probably be a bit spoilt!!

Well done you x
But poor bunny only five weeks old and already on his third home.......kits should stay with the litter until they are eight weeks.
It's hard to sex them properly also at four weeks old which is why he was sold as the wrong sex.
Glad he has found a good home with you x

Yeah I dunno what to feel about that. I feel sad for him, ofc and the fact that he where supposed to be with a family with three young kids makes me think that he might have gotten a stressfull life right from the start if they kept him, I am glad though that we got to buy him from them, he will be quite spoilt for sure :)

And thank you, he is quite the stunner ^_^

He/she is gorgeous. You are now his Mother, brother and sister as he is so very young. Hope he/she settles in well and don't change his food at the moment as it could prove fatal.

Yeah I have read that they are really sensitive at this age. We will give him plenty of hay, the pellets he is used to and no fresh foods until he is older. Still got abit reading to do but I have found several good documents about caring for baby bunnies. Hopefully it all goes well :)

Thank you! I like Eddie to, but OH is not as kean xD I think we are gonna go for Aaron ^_^

I have one of those! (A bunny who left mum far too early, has a very sad background, is unbelievably cute and fluffy and a harlequin lop).

(only, mine is now six :love:)

Congrats on your new addition. Hopefully you can give him the home he deserves.

Last edited:
Aww he's really cute :love: Poor little mite though, so young and already on his third home :(

I'm glad he's found his way to you though, it sounds like he'll have a much happier life with you than he might otherwise have had :)

aww he is very cute, I would keep extra eye on him being so young and away from mum, but you will know that

Thank you guys!

And Yes! I know its crazy him being so young and already on his way to his third home :eek: This wil be a forever home tho! We dont have the habbit of rehoming our animals, when we buy then it is only after talking and thinking it over for many weeks, if not months. We only buy when we know that this is something we really want :)

Tuesday my hay and stuff comes, so I am planning on getting him home early next week :D

You'll need to be really careful with him. Find out what the breeder was feeding him and what they've been feeding him and keep it the same. If they aren't sure e.g. don't know food brand, stick to hay only. Also make sure you've got a vet/emergency vet info set up ready. Bunnies that small are super sensitive.

It's a bit weird but I'd also ask them to take his existing bedding, it will already smell like him so if you pop that in his new home it will help reduce the stress of the change. Give him a box to hide in too - again, it will help minimise stress if he feels secure.

I'd also avoid handling him much for at least the first few days. Let him get brave and come and interact with you rather than picking him up :)

Thank you for exelent advice :) I got to hold him abit when we visited them, and he seems completely tame already, but I wil do as you advice when bringing him home and keep handling to a minimum. Hideys of various sort are already bought. Cardboard box and some soft houselike beds made for cats and small dogs.

I have asked what feed they give him, and its not good news I think, they are giving him hay (which is great) but also some comersial mix from versele laga, I know these mixes well and they are.. Well they suck basicly. He have also been given apples from their yard, kale and carrots... Sigh...

Back