• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toilet training Baby Jasper

awskinnie

Young Bun
Hi, I recently did a topic introducing baby Jasper that we picked up 6 days ago at 8 weeks old.
I am finding it hard potty training my little boy.
With our last bunny Missy she was trained in a couple of days but Jasper doesn't seem to be picking up on where to go.
We have shown him his litter tray and placed him in it telling him he's a good boy and like proud parents congratulated him on pooping in it. But he won't go in on his own accord.
Jasper.has a wooden house my father in law made and he has a.dog bed and loads of hay around Jasper loves his bed and cwtches in to it to chill but he goes for a wee on it through the night.
To stop me having to keep washing his bed I have got puppy pads to use on top of it which he ignores so I can protect the bed
Whenever we see Jasper going to go we have put him in the litter tray afterwards to show him it's there he should be going.
We have never told him no or raised our voice as he is a baby and we are not like that anyway.
When I picked him up to go to his forever home I did notice that the rabbits were kept in large cages and left.out in day for a run around.could this be why he wees at night and in his bed? If so how can I change this.
3a2a7951e3c76f4ca589a4c3aceecb5d.jpg

Jasper being King of.the castle :)

sent from Xperia Z2

Hi there, what a stunning boy he is :love:

I think I would adapt the space to make his chosen toilet areas his litter trays. If you use newspaper with hay on top you can change it regularly and keep everything clean that way. Hopefully he'll start to go when he's eating the hay and it'll become a routine.

My two males used to go on anything soft, but now they will always use the hay litter trays unless enough falls out on one area and then they might go on that bit :roll: :wave:

I think you could be over-worrying, which could have the opposite effect of what you want. Jasper is still settling into his new home and getting used to his new family, so there is a lot of things for him to think about and get used to. Rabbits tend to wee on soft beds, so maybe if you gave him just one litter tray lined with newspaper and topped with hay, he will get used to using this. Take everything else off him for now. Rabbits also like to sleep in their litter tray which may seem bad but I have never found it to cause problems. Don't forget Jasper is still young and if he was used to being put out everyday, he would possibly have gone to the toilet in the run, so he never got used to going in the hutch.

Some bunnies take a long time to get into the habit of using a litter tray but if you put a few of his droppings in there this will help and he will get there in the end.

Back