• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild Rabbits - Drinking

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
:wave:

I was just wondering how much water rabbits drink in the wild? Chloe drinks a lot, as did Barney. Generally a big drink after their breakfast & dinner of pellets. Also after eating hay for a while. I'm guessing fresh grass would contain a lot of moisture - so do wild rabbits get all their water via grass/plants?

:wave:

I was just wondering how much water rabbits drink in the wild? Chloe drinks a lot, as did Barney. Generally a big drink after their breakfast & dinner of pellets. Also after eating hay for a while. I'm guessing fresh grass would contain a lot of moisture - so do wild rabbits get all their water via grass/plants?
Great question, I have often wondered the same.

I would imagine they get most of their fluid from plants and grass. I am thinking of those up on the downs where there is very little water unless it rains.

Yes they drink on dew, rain drops on grass and fresh grass and plants. However with the draught we have in France this summer, vegetation is all burnt and yellow. However it is to be remembered that rabbits in the wild originated from dry arid countries but since, the specie has adapted to temperate countries.

Last edited:
Yes, grass has a very high water content so most of their water needs are covered by that. How much pets drink will depend a lot on diet too - rabbits eaten grass rather than hay, or lots of fresh veggies with drink a lot less :)

Back