• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed - Bunny off his food

Hi everyone. I just wondered if anyone had any helpful ideas of what might be wrong with by bun. He has been in boarding for a few days as we had to go away. This is only his second time in 4 years but last time he coped well. Since we got him back yesterday morning, he is not eating pellets or hay or any treats (he is allowed occasional biscuits called naturals little hearts and normally goes mental for these). He will eat some parsley and basil though.
Last night his tummy was gurgling, and he passed some tiny poos with mucous. I didn't want to rush him to vets as thought he needed to get settled at home, but took him this morning as there was no change.
They have given him a couple of injections and some zantac and critical care for me to give (which I have so far failed to manage :-( ).
They checked his teeth and they seem ok and no signs of blockages.
Could he just be traumatised from boarding?

He has moved house with us a couple of times and normally eats ok, although when we collected him he was very close to other rabbits so perhaps this has stressed him.
The lady who runs the boarding place commented that he doesn't eat much. I am not that impressed that they weren't more concerned about this!

Hi everyone. I just wondered if anyone had any helpful ideas of what might be wrong with by bun. He has been in boarding for a few days as we had to go away. This is only his second time in 4 years but last time he coped well. Since we got him back yesterday morning, he is not eating pellets or hay or any treats (he is allowed occasional biscuits called naturals little hearts and normally goes mental for these). He will eat some parsley and basil though.
Last night his tummy was gurgling, and he passed some tiny poos with mucous. I didn't want to rush him to vets as thought he needed to get settled at home, but took him this morning as there was no change.
They have given him a couple of injections and some zantac and critical care for me to give (which I have so far failed to manage :-( ).
They checked his teeth and they seem ok and no signs of blockages.
Could he just be traumatised from boarding?

He has moved house with us a couple of times and normally eats ok, although when we collected him he was very close to other rabbits so perhaps this has stressed him.
The lady who runs the boarding place commented that he doesn't eat much. I am not that impressed that they weren't more concerned about this!

Stress can certainly cause stasis in rabbits. You did the right thing taking him to the vet. Maybe his intake was decreasing over a few days and she didn't notice? I board rabbits and I would certainly be worried with a change in eating habits.

Whatever the cause, I hope you get him sorted and back to normal!

Oh poor wee sausage, any changes to eating can be serious for bunnies.. Don't think much of your boarder TBH, she should have monitored him a bit better.. Just my opinion..

Some bunnies don't travel well and it can knock them for six..

I hope he recovers soon...

Fee x

Back