• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Double story hutches

Sevans

New Kit
Do you rate double story hutches? They seem a good idea as the buns seem to get more space and its more interesting - plus it doesn't take up so much floor space. Obviously with a large run and free roaming in the garden as much as possible too. What are your thoughts!?

I would prefer a single hutch, at least 6 x 2 x 2, with permanently attached run of 8 x 4, as recommended by the RWAF.

A shed or playhouse gives more room than a double hutch as a lot of room is taken up by the ramps :)

I have a double hutch with attached run and the only thing I would say is it's easier to feed them on the top without having to bend down. The ramp does take up space but some companies use jump shelves instead which is much better and takes up less space. I would say that if you do go for a double it needs to be 6ft otherwise the jump shelf or ramp takes up too much space. Also if using a ramp it ends up really steep if the hutch isn't long enough.

I would also make sure your bunnies are happy jumping down. Doughnut went up my stairs a few years a go and was frightened to jump down so I had to rescue her,she's never gone up since. I also bought her a castle and she jumped to the top but was too scared to jump down inside so I ended up cutting it down to a bungalow! She's happy to jump on and off of that.

Great thanks for the information. It's for my bunny boarding, guests have a large run and outdoor space too. (As well as indoor options) It's mainly for sleeping. I just wondered what bunny owners preferred.

Last edited:
Hi, instead of a ramp or steps The Welfare Hutch Company are also offering an option to use a pipe connector kit. This runs from one end of the hutch, around the back and connects to the bottom. This means the bunnies are completely safe and doesn't eat into the space of the hutch. There are photos on our facebook as im sure my explanation sounds a bit complicated!

Our old hutch was double level but only 5ft and with a ramp (which came off a year ago so I added a shelf instead) the buns always preferred to be on the top level. We built them a new hutch last week and went with a double with a shelf up so doesn't take too much space. Again the buns seem to love it and prefer to be on the top level.

Hi, instead of a ramp or steps The Welfare Hutch Company are also offering an option to use a pipe connector kit. This runs from one end of the hutch, around the back and connects to the bottom. This means the bunnies are completely safe and doesn't eat into the space of the hutch. There are photos on our facebook as im sure my explanation sounds a bit complicated!

I love this idea!

Athena and Apollo have a 6x2x2(ish - the width is slightly larger than 2ft) hutch and adore it. They love the upper storey. At the moment, they don't seem to have too much trouble with the ramp BUT they are young - both less than a year old - and have learned quickly. Not all rabbits take to a ramp. My bridge bunny, Nessarose, never did.

My preference is mainly based on my lazy nature, love of having the 'perfect' solution, bad back and want for layers of fox proofing where our garden backs onto fields/wood :) So I had a bespoke hutch built for my requirements which is in an aviary.

I think different styles suit different requirements and if space is an issue a 6ft double gives more options. I too LOVE the welfare tube connection idea! :thumb:

I had triple hutches. For me where space was an issue they were good. The only thing I'd say, the same with single hutches, make sure there's not a lip on the edge as it makes cleaning out a nightmare! I learnt the hard way.

Great, I have hutches that are 6x2x4 with attached run so that's 26sq ft, they're lovely and tall for standing and hopping, then smaller 4x2 double hutch 16sq ft with an additional 10sq ft run for single or smaller breeds. So it sounds like I'm in the right ball park. I also have additional runs for a change of scenery and a large gated drive for sprints and binkys!! Thanks for all the advice. Much obliged.

Bespoke would be amazing but for the foster buns and boarding it might be something to look at in the future. I think the aviary is a great set up, hoping to convert the whole garage eventually I love the tube connection too!
My preference is mainly based on my lazy nature, love of having the 'perfect' solution, bad back and want for layers of fox proofing where our garden backs onto fields/wood :) So I had a bespoke hutch built for my requirements which is in an aviary.

I think different styles suit different requirements and if space is an issue a 6ft double gives more options. I too LOVE the welfare tube connection idea! :thumb:

Back