• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scared Rabbits

TinkerBelle

Young Bun
Hi
Looking for advice with my bunnies please. I have 2 mini lop bonded sisters. They are 3 months old. I cannot get any where near them let alone stroke them or pick them up. I sit on the floor with them for hours letting them sniff and nudge me but the quickly run away if i move the slightest bit even if im not trying to touch them. Ive had them since they were 9 weeks old so would have thought they would at least be comfortable with me sitting with them!
I have read countless websites on things to try to get them used to me but nothing has worked. I dont expect them to come running up to me and plonk their bums on my lap but i do expect to at least be able to stroke them without them running for the nearest hiding place!
Will i ever be able to stroke them? And will spaying them (when they are okd enough) make any difference?
Thanks x

Sometimes its just takes time.Sit with them as you are doing and just ignore them.Sit with a book or mag and read quietly to them but don't try to touch them.They need to get used to your voice and presence first which takes time.Have some healthy treats with you and reward them with one if they come near you but don't change your voice tone and move slowly and as little as possible.When you get up to go,do it very slowly and quietly.Building up trust can be difficult with a prey animal,but with lots of patience you will eventually find that bit by bit they learn to trust you and associate you with positive experiences ie treats.It is still early days as you've only had them 3 weeks but rabbits can and do learn to trust.
Good luck with this.

It takes a long time for rabbits to trust humans so you have to be patient. They are still babies so need to mature more before they become more confident with humans.

Back