• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's this sore in André's ear?

TheTigerThief

Warren Scout
This afternoon I while I was out feeding the bunnies I noticed something bright red in André's ear. It looks like blood. I tried to take a few photos, but he got cranky and me and went in the hutch. These were the clearest I could get;

11846099_895206463885608_1554937687_n.jpg

11816062_895206413885613_1402134992_n.jpg

What could this be? Ear mites? A bite from something? Does he need to go to the vet? He doesn't seem unwell otherwise, he's eating/drinking/pooping/ect. and he doesn't seem to be scratching his ears more often than usual. I just don't know, I've never had a sick/injured bun before. :(

Last edited:
The fact that he is holding that ear back could indicate he is not well or the ear is painful. I would take him to the Vets. Hope it's nothing serious and he is back to normal soon.

Ooh, poor wee soul.... What Tonibun says sounds spot on... I think a vet trip is essential..

I would think its mites and he has scratched it within an inch of his life.., making it painful and making him miserable...

From the looks of it, it could be he has scratched himself (Are his nails long? Has he been shaking his head recently?). Or else it's ear mites and he has scratched one of the crusts off himself.

Good luck at the vets!

From the looks of it, it could be he has scratched himself (Are his nails long? Has he been shaking his head recently?). Or else it's ear mites and he has scratched one of the crusts off himself.

Good luck at the vets!

His nails are due for a clip so possibly... I haven't seen him shaking his head though.

Back