• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunbuns licking soap

FredW

Alpha Buck
OK, so got the Rabbiting On magazine today and in it was advice on what to do with chewers... I tried Lemon, and Bunbuns just likes the lemon oil off... so when they advised Soap I thought of that's good. I use Neutral PH etc free soap anyway, so I thought I try it to put a coating of it on a few things that I know Fluffy likes chewing on... just to find, Bunbuns is sitting there licking it off. No idea what's wrong with this girl, she seems to think everything is food. Could that cause issues for her? I know in the answer he gave someone he did mention that they sometimes will still lick it, but should stop them chewing. Fluffy hasn't been on the wood yet, so no idea if it will work, but just checking if anyone tried it, and also if soap could be harmful if she keeps licking it.

Last edited:
Oops :lol:

To be honest, I don't think deterrents are that great for rabbits, they often seem to just treat them like garnish. It's better to try and remove the item, protect it or keep them busy elsewhere. What is it you're trying to protect?

Well it looks like day two and no chewing or licking... but don't wanna speak too soon. Maybe she just needed to explore.
basically it's in their new pen, some areas I just cant get to to cover up without dismanteling the whole thing, which would mean having them boarded again for a few days etc, so I was looking for alternatives, because them eating their home from the inside out isn't the best idea. They have tons of chewing stuff, toys, shelves, tunnels, hideout boxes, throwing stuff etc to keep them entertained, but somehow the wood must have tasted too good for Fluffy to resist, or at least that wood used to build that whole thing.
but yeah, came down this morning, and it's day two without his chews all over the place.

Well it looks like day two and no chewing or licking... but don't wanna speak too soon. Maybe she just needed to explore.
basically it's in their new pen, some areas I just cant get to to cover up without dismanteling the whole thing, which would mean having them boarded again for a few days etc, so I was looking for alternatives, because them eating their home from the inside out isn't the best idea. They have tons of chewing stuff, toys, shelves, tunnels, hideout boxes, throwing stuff etc to keep them entertained, but somehow the wood must have tasted too good for Fluffy to resist, or at least that wood used to build that whole thing.
but yeah, came down this morning, and it's day two without his chews all over the place.

Glad to hear things are a bit better :D

I was going to post something flippant like - 'Is she foaming at the mouth :lol:' but decided against it. I hope the no-chewing continues!

Glad to hear things are a bit better :D

I was going to post something flippant like - 'Is she foaming at the mouth :lol:' but decided against it. I hope the no-chewing continues!

lol that would have probably been the perfect response... but joking aside, I don't know if it will help, but I keep my fingers crossed. And it's not that they don't have enough else to chew on, or play with. but bunnies will be bunnies, right ;)

Back