• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Relapse and remitting vestibular illness - definite cycle

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Hi guys

I posted a while back about my 10yr old bun who has been having episodes of turning and nystagmus. His treatment began with metacam, panacur and baytril, we then switched antibiotic to septrin and then depocillin - we did this as his frequent relapses may have meant he had middle ear infection rather than EC. However he has relapsed on all.

Yesterday I took my diary and mapped out the dates and was amazed to see a definitive cycle. His relapses last either 12 or 13 days and the periods in between alternate exactly between 6 and 9 days. So for example - relapse 12 days, remit 9, relapse 12 days remit 6, relapse 12 days remit 9 etc

His nystagmus is horizontal and he has never rolled. He manages his bad episodes and eats well throughout. His bad episodes consist of him turning his head to the left and then following with his body, sometimes he maintains his body but his from feet slip to the right as his head turns to the left. He sleeps with his head resting on things turned to the left. He is always aware of his feet and manages to get around and use his litter tray etc.

He's 10 with bilateral cataracts and arthritis. He has currently just gone into remission and is perfectly straight.

I have declined bloods and CT due to the stress involved and risk of sedation for CT. He has been treated at home with home vet visits this far to minimise stress.

Has anyone ever seen a cycle like this? I was shocked to see the regular pattern when I mapped it out.

We've stopped the antibiotics and are keeping up metacam and I've started another panacur course (his last one was for 6 weeks and finished on 13th June)

Ideas????

Thanks, he's just relapsed again on 9 days. I've asked an exotic and my own vet if there is a disease with such a cycle but the answer is that there is no explanation unless it is concurrent with meds which it isnt. I'm waiting to hear back from another rabbit expert. I'm tearing my hair out - there has to be an answer!! The cycle is too regular for it to be brain lesions or stroke.

Back