• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breed?

Ziebirds

Young Bun
Hi

I've just had a new little bunny, I'm not sure if it's a breed or a cross or the age, she is very small and very light which makes me believe she's younger than I was told. She's supposed to be 6 months or more but I'm not sure. Any advise is welcome as I haven't a clue.

d93289b1c28a586bc9d8aee2046859cf.jpg
2fcd0f15deba7fde2971f60581ae4f10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She looks terrified in that first pic (to me, anyway). Where did you get her from? Sorry can't help with breed.

Oh, she is beautiful. Looks exactly like my wonderful late Opera. I think she is probably a bit of a cross breed. She does look scared, hard to tell age. is she eating ok and have you got a little hidey hole for her to tuck herself away and feel safe in?

Yeah she hides away, she's fine that was the first hour and in the piccy she wants afraid she was climbing all over me asking for strokes which surprised me, I gathered she's a cross just wanted to get more perspective about her, she's just hiding her in tunnel atm

She eaten hay, pellets and everything I've offered, surprising how she acted considering she was in a new environment didn't seem to phrase her

She could be part Havana or Satin. In time you will know if she is at her adult size and then you can check into her breed further.

Also what I find a bit strange she's supposed to be six months old and she's the size that my mini Rex is when I first had her

Also what I find a bit strange she's supposed to be six months old and she's the size that my mini Rex is when I first had her

Keep an eye on her, there may be an underlying issue as to why she's not gaining weight.
I had a rabbit in similar circumstances, we didn't know her history and was told she was 6 months old, but she was small for her age (1.9kg). Unfortunately 6 weeks later we lost her to coccidiosis (PM confirmed this), there were no clinical signs (aside from failure to gain weight, at the time I was an inexperienced bunny owner so didn't realise the significance) and she'd had 3 x vet checks - when we first got her, then twice after her spay and none of the vets picked up anything. She was eating and pooing as normal, one evening she was a little subdued, but we were still getting used to her and thought nothing of it. She passed away the next day.

Oh that's awful thanks for the advise, I will keep a close eye on her, she is seeing the vets soon so I'll grill the vet lol and just have to see how she gets on

She does not look like a dwarf type, but she may have part Polish or Britania Petite bunny. The Britania's have light bone structures.

Back