• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ok brace yourselves-terrible poster at the vets.:(

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
I had to use the local vet I use in emergencies yesterday as my cat was poorly out of hours and my usual vet hasn't got an out of hours service.Aas I sat waiting in the waiting room I noticed a large poster on the wall-one of those "made by the surgery"ones.It was about keeping animals cool in the hot weather.Good idea except the bunny section showed a large picture of a rabbit,ON ITS BACK IN A BOWL OF WATER:shock::shock:....at the vets though.The nurse tried to defend it by saying-oh its what we would do in a dire emergency.

1)No you wouldn't-surely:shock:

2)There was nothing to say don't try this at home.

The other suggestions were keeping a cat cool by showering with a hose(picture)and keeping a dog cool by getting it to lie on crushed ice.Im not keen on either of those either but the bunny one took the biscuit.

Ive deregistered.

Last edited:
I had to use the local vet I use in emergencies yesterday as my cat was poorly out of hours and my usual vet hasn't got an out of hours service.Aas I sat waiting in the waiting room I noticed a large poster on the wall-one of those "made by the surgery"ones.It was about keeping animals cool in the hot weather.Good idea except the bunny section showed a large picture of a rabbit,ON ITS BACK IN A BOWL OF WATER:shock::shock:....at the vets though.The nurse tried to defend it by saying-oh its what we would do in a dire emergency.

1)No you wouldn't-surely:shock:

2)There was nothing to say don't try this at home.

The other suggestions were keeping a cat cool by showering with a hose(picture)and keeping a dog cool by getting it to lie on crushed ice.Im not keen on either of those either but the bunny one took the biscuit.

Ive deregistered.

My God :shock: Good for you - I hope they know why!

very worrying :( seems to be trend at the moment for putting animals in water - rabbits ,and making guinea pigs swim :roll:

That's terrible.... Good on you for commenting.. I'd write to the Practice and ask exactly why they have this picture showing 'bad practice' on their wall...

Holy ****. Matt wanted to give the rabbits a paddling pool on a hot day, in case they wanted a paddle (he's as daft as them XD), but 1.) he didn't force them into it and 2.) they didn't use it anyway!

very worrying :( seems to be trend at the moment for putting animals in water - rabbits ,and making guinea pigs swim :roll:

Actually, my friend's guineas were all wet one morning so she spied on them. They had found a way out of their enclosure, headed purposefully for the pond; went for a swim and returned :shock:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, my friend's guineas were all wet one morning so she spied on them. They had found a way out of their enclosure, headed purposefully for the pond; went for a swim and returned :shock:

:shock:

It's ridiculous when a vet practice doesnt even know the basic care of the animals they treat. How could they possibly know enough to treat rabbits if they don't even know that rabbits shouldn't be bathed!

:shock: Maybe they thought they were capybaras instead of guineas?! :lol:

I think that's fine if they've got the choice and they chose to go in and could get out when they wanted to. The video doing the rounds is of two guineas being put into a waist height pool with full sides so they had no way out. The poor things had no choice but to keep swimming because there was nowhere for them to get out when they wanted or needed to.

I totally get why you've deregistered, that's terrible advice on all fronts, not just the rabbit. It would definitely make you wonder about their knowledge and normal care practices, wouldn't it? Hope you find somewhere else you're happier with.

That sounds nuts.

I don't know much about rabbits in heat stroke, but the advice for piggies is always wrap them up in a damp towel, and that they shouldn't be put into cold water, or the shock could cause cardiac arrest. I'd have thought the same for bunnies. :?

As for the swimming piggies thing, I've definitely known of a few piggies in forum circles over the years that seem to like to swim, but obviously only in shallow water and if they have the choice not to. Can't say I've ever had any that I've thought would enjoy the experience.

I agree with everyone, its appalling advice.I haven't actually been registered with them long-about 5 weeks, because I had afew issues with the previous emergency vet I used so moved.I really didn't know they were so un rabbit savvy.Thank God I didn't have to put them to the test on the rabbit front.Fortunately I have a brilliant rabbit/cat vet but I just need reasonable out of hours cover.
The good news is the poster is down.They rang especially to tell me!:thumb:

Think they thought I might change my mind but-nope.;)

Last edited:
I agree with everyone, its appalling advice.I haven't actually been registered with them long-about 5 weeks, because I had afew issues with the previous emergency vet I used so moved.I really didn't know they were so un rabbit savvy.Thank God I didn't have to put them to the test on the rabbit front.Fortunately I have a brilliant rabbit/cat vet but I just need reasonable out of hours cover.
The good news is the poster is down.They rang especially to tell me!:thumb:

Think they thought I might change my mind but-nope.;)

You could offer your services as a rabbit advisor to the practice. Seriously! :D

I have no out of hours vet cover ... Really scary isn't it?

You could offer your services as a rabbit advisor to the practice. Seriously! :D

I have no out of hours vet cover ... Really scary isn't it?

It is worrying,yes A.I will have to go back to the previous emergency vets I think.They had some funny ideas re rabbits but im more likely to get more sense from them.The "poster vets"were happy to be "backup"though whereas the previous ones were less happy.Sorry but tough!:lol::lol:

It is worrying,yes A.I will have to go back to the previous emergency vets I think.They had some funny ideas re rabbits but im more likely to get more sense from them.The "poster vets"were happy to be "backup"though whereas the previous ones were less happy.Sorry but tough!:lol::lol:

No-one messes with you C :lol:

Back