• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aviary Roofing ideas needed

Lisa F

Mama Doe
After much discussion we've decided to attach an aviary to the boys shed instead of a run but we're not entirely sure what to do about the roof. We want something solid/waterproof but we are not sure about having something that doesn't let any light through . . . however we're equally unsure about transparent roofing as that would make the run too hot/sunny. Ideally, something like a heavily tinted perspex would be great, if that even exists.

Just wondering what others are using on their aviarys? :)

I tried avairies but for this very reason went back to a run !! It's impossible to keep the water out . It just collects on top without guttering !! If you slope roof it just comes in the back !!!!!

We were in the same dilemma and went with the green corrugated roofing bitumen sheets and then guttering around the edge. I felt that where our garden was full sun most of the day it was the better option although I do worry that they don't get any sun time. I plan to add tunnel to a meshed grass run in time though :wave:

I did wonder though if the newer heat reflecting stuff they use on conservatories would be good for rabbit enclosures (also wondered about cost as well :) )

My aviary has a mesh roof. In the winter I put clear tarps over the top/back. Works a treat.

A slope and a gutter is a good idea, that way you don't have to walk through a waterfall when it rains. With the roof on a slope that should encourage trapped heat to flow out too. You can get the corrugated stuff in green or clear so you could alternate sheets so you had skylights in effect, or just tie some greenhouse shading over the top in summer.

I've always used the clear corrugated sheets and I don't find that they do 'greenhouse' the heat at all, especially if it's a full height aviary as any heat that gets pushed through just gets dissipated around the air. I have the clear corrugated sheets on a 3ft high run and it doesn't make the run hot at all. But of course if it's a very hot sunny day, then some additional shade would be a helpful addition. I would definitely agree with sloping it, it doesn't have to be much, just a fillet of wood at one end so that there is a very slight incline towards the back or side. The main problem I've found with the corrugated stuff is that it can split and come off in very heavy wind if it's in an exposed location and hasn't been attached firmly, so it does need fixing well. I would then suggest using some clear tarpaulins or similar to make the sides more waterproof during wet weather, as they can easily be rolled up and down depending on what the weather is doing and the direction of the wind/rain.

Thanks guys. Sloping the roof is an excellent idea so we'll definitely do that. I've been having another hunt for the tinted corrugated sheets and found this one . . .

1282552486828_hz-myalibaba-web3_11059.JPG

Quite heavily tinted but will still let light through and, as it's going to be a full height aviary that should allow it to be nice and light. :)

Thanks guys. Sloping the roof is an excellent idea so we'll definitely do that. I've been having another hunt for the tinted corrugated sheets and found this one . . .

[pic]

Quite heavily tinted but will still let light through and, as it's going to be a full height aviary that should allow it to be nice and light. :)
That's what I was going to suggest :D There is/used to be one in B&Q that's blue :)

Back