• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What have I done RU?! UPDATE... Roo is a boy

Holhol

Alpha Buck
We went to Melton Mowbray market... I came home with an auctioned bunny. I know I shouldn't have but they were all so sad and she came up to me and I stroked her nose so I had to save her.

And now I am stuck. She's currently living in my uni bathroom (thank god my housemates aren't here!) and has hay and water. She's friendly and sweet, but now what do I do?

We don't have space for an unspayed female at my mums (and Fergies) house, and she's only about 12 weeks (also slightly concerned about pregnancy but hey ho). She's getting vaccinated ASAP, and spayed as early as possible then I would like to bond her with ferg but I don't know what to do with her until then :( I can't keep her at my mums, but if she stays here she's going to have a 2 hour drive twice a week to/from Manchester where I could set up a temp puppy pen for 2 days (OKd by mum). My sisters friend might have a spare hutch and I could get a run and she could live outside at my mums for a while alternatively.

I'm such an idiot, this isn't how I wanted to get a second rabbit and I feel like in some ways it was a huge mistake. I'm glad I saved her (pretty certain there were a few dodgy people looking at her - breeding or bait I do not know) but I wish I'd thought of the logistics.

Help :(

I've called her Roo (or Rhubarb) but I need to find a way round this massive mess I've got myself into

335bfxf.jpg

25p6yck.jpg

Last edited:
We went to Melton Mowbray market... I came home with an auctioned bunny. I know I shouldn't have but they were all so sad and she came up to me and I stroked her nose so I had to save her.

And now I am stuck. She's currently living in my uni bathroom (thank god my housemates aren't here!) and has hay and water. She's friendly and sweet, but now what do I do?

We don't have space for an unspayed female at my mums (and Fergies) house, and she's only about 12 weeks (also slightly concerned about pregnancy but hey ho). She's getting vaccinated ASAP, and spayed as early as possible then I would like to bond her with ferg but I don't know what to do with her until then :( I can't keep her at my mums, but if she stays here she's going to have a 2 hour drive twice a week to/from Manchester where I could set up a temp puppy pen for 2 days (OKd by mum). My sisters friend might have a spare hutch and I could get a run and she could live outside at my mums for a while alternatively.

I'm such an idiot, this isn't how I wanted to get a second rabbit and I feel like in some ways it was a huge mistake. I'm glad I saved her (pretty certain there were a few dodgy people looking at her - breeding or bait I do not know) but I wish I'd thought of the logistics.

Help :(

I've called her Roo (or Rhubarb) but I need to find a way round this massive mess I've got myself into

335bfxf.jpg

25p6yck.jpg

She looks lovely :love: There seem to be a couple of alternatives there - she may not mind the driving, and there again she could live outside at your Mum's. You did what your heart said you should do, and no one can argue with that :love:

It will work out. Try not to panic! in a couple months or so she will be spayed, and then after healing, bonded with Fergie, who I'm sure will be as pleased as punch!

Now tell me why you didn't get all the others, as I said you should :lol:

Oh, and welcome to the Forum Roo :wave:

Looking at that face I am not surprised that you couldnt help yourself, like Mighty Max already said, your heart told you that she was right. Things will work out just fine. I had mine stay in a temp run for a couple of month, wasnt ideal, but doable.

I've felt that stress several times and it's always been 100% worth it.

When I got Binky and Shadow they were on ebay and the listing said that if they weren't 'gone by Friday, they're going in the pot'... so the might of RU got them out of there. It was a knee-jerk reaction and as they both had weepy eyes I started panicking about huge bills for dentals for both... I never for a minute regretted it but I will admit to a few sleepless nights. I would definitely do it again in a heartbeat.

Things will work out. You have done a wonderful thing. It might be difficult to organise now but that bunny's happiness is completely owed to you and there is no better feeling :love:

She looks lovely :love: There seem to be a couple of alternatives there - she may not mind the driving, and there again she could live outside at your Mum's. You did what your heart said you should do, and no one can argue with that :love:

It will work out. Try not to panic! in a couple months or so she will be spayed, and then after healing, bonded with Fergie, who I'm sure will be as pleased as punch!

Now tell me why you didn't get all the others, as I said you should :lol:

Oh, and welcome to the Forum Roo :wave:

She's actually very good considering what she's been through today, she's had head strokes and is very well behaved - she's been playing with her box :) just trying to get her to eat properly - think she's a bit stressed but I've given her 2 bowls of hay and a box with it in and a couple of SS pellets, no idea what she's been fed before!

I think I'm going to get an outdoor hutch and run, she should be OK outside for 2-3 months then she can be a bedroom bunny :)

I'm going to ring the vets tomorrow and see what's the earliest hell spay her, I'm off in September so would be perfect if we could do it then, then she can be bonded end of October :)

I hope ferg likes her... I have no idea what breed she is but I think she'll be a bit bigger than him! He's a little fluffy squit and she's lean and long haha :)

There were about 50 and I wanted them all, it killed me to leave them behind but at least one has been rescued! :love:

Looking at that face I am not surprised that you couldnt help yourself, like Mighty Max already said, your heart told you that she was right. Things will work out just fine. I had mine stay in a temp run for a couple of month, wasnt ideal, but doable.

Nice to hear that someone else had a couple of months outside - I'm sure it'll be ok I just need to find a hutch by Friday :lol:

Goodness, she is one lucky bunny! You've got ideas for the short term and more importantly you have a long term plan in place to bond her with Fergie, so try not to panic. Even if the temporary accommodation isn't totally ideal, it will be better than anything the poor mite has had so far in her short life and better than what would have been in store for her had she not stolen your heart. :love:

Welcome to RU Roo :wave:

I've felt that stress several times and it's always been 100% worth it.

When I got Binky and Shadow they were on ebay and the listing said that if they weren't 'gone by Friday, they're going in the pot'... so the might of RU got them out of there. It was a knee-jerk reaction and as they both had weepy eyes I started panicking about huge bills for dentals for both... I never for a minute regretted it but I will admit to a few sleepless nights. I would definitely do it again in a heartbeat.

Things will work out. You have done a wonderful thing. It might be difficult to organise now but that bunny's happiness is completely owed to you and there is no better feeling :love:

That is a fantastic story - your bunnies are so lucky! I hope she's happy, I'm going to try my best to get her all sorted :)

:love: Gorgeous! I agree with Tracy, in terms of long and short term planning :) The only other thing I would urge you to consider is quarantining. Due to where she has come from, she could be carrying anything, so a good 4 week quarantine would be sensible (remembering anything that she touches needing to be separate, so clothing, and suchlike for anything that could transmit anything).

We need more photos though, sorry.

Goodness, she is one lucky bunny! You've got ideas for the short term and more importantly you have a long term plan in place to bond her with Fergie, so try not to panic. Even if the temporary accommodation isn't totally ideal, it will be better than anything the poor mite has had so far in her short life and better than what would have been in store for her had she not stolen your heart. :love:

Welcome to RU Roo :wave:

Thank you :) I will get as organised as possible and short term it's not ideal but I'm sure it will be good for her and Ferg! :love:

:love: Gorgeous! I agree with Tracy, in terms of long and short term planning :) The only other thing I would urge you to consider is quarantining. Due to where she has come from, she could be carrying anything, so a good 4 week quarantine would be sensible (remembering anything that she touches needing to be separate, so clothing, and suchlike for anything that could transmit anything).

We need more photos though, sorry.

Already planned it haha! :) she's going nowhere near Fergie for at least a month, and we will have outside and inside clothes and lots of hand washing between the 2! I'm hoping to get her to the vets for a health check this week or next, and I might do a 28 day panacur seeing as I've just got Fergie clear of it.

I'm actually on a rotation at the PDSA next week so I might see if I can get them to give her a quick health check :lol:

Update!!

Got home this afternoon and Roo had some poos stuck to his bum so put him on his bum to clean off and found... 2 rather large testicles. Think I have a 12 ish week old buck now - someone can't sex rabbits very well at that auction...

He is eating and pooing (but a bit sticky) and I suppose now he can be castrated very soon. How easy is bonding 2 males? Ferg is 2.5 and Roo is probably 3 months ish x

Nothing's ever simple is it! Well the boys will either get on or they won't You just never know until you try it. I am really sorry.

Back