• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reoccurring bald patch?

Bunny Magoo

Warren Scout
So one of my bunny's has a small bald patch on his chest(very hard to see as he's so fluffy!) and the fur around it seems shorter. Can't see any flakes or dandruff so don't believe it's mites and he hasn't had any jabs lately. We haven't seen him tugging at his fur and is perfectly good health - eating as normal, input and output fine, cleaning himself as normal and is his normal mischievous self! He has already been treated for mites twice this year (bald patch in similar place - different sides of chest), but I am now wondering if he previously had mites and what it could be this time? Any ideas? (His partner is fine and has no bald patches either )

Last edited:
a688928febcde227621ab22f32ab2c8f.jpg
bald patch this time

Hmm if it gets any worse I would take him to the vets. He may have mites again but it might not be. As I said, if it gets any worse and his mood changes it would be best to take him to the vets. I'm not a vet though. You could type up on Google his signs and it may come up with the cause. :)

I forgot to say my rabbit had a bold patch near her neck. Although we didn't do much because she wasn't bothered about it. The fur also started to come back after a few months and it was very minor. :D

That's quite a big bald patch - did it get better after the mite treatment then? If it got better, it might be he just needs a longer course of treatment and the first one didn't kill of all the mites, otherwise I think the vet may need to investigate a little more - maybe check it's not fungal or other issues that won't be resolved by mite treatment.

Do you see him bothering at it? It's in an area that could be him over grooming - it would be worth getting his teeth checked at the same time in case anything is causing discomfort that's triggering the behaviour.

The second pic (from the previous time) appeared very quickly, went out and it wasn't there, came home a couple of hours later to the baldness. His fur grew back fine. We couldn't see any flakes or dandruff but vet diagnosed mites. He was again diagnosed with mites shortly after a suspected spur, again had treatment for mites and fur grew back fine.

He doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. He does like to keep himself super clean, so i did wonder if it's over grooming. He did break his jaw when he was very young, but vet said his teeth are pretty much aligned. His first case of the bald patch was well over a year after he broke his jaw. He's eating plenty of hay and perfectly normal in himself. I would have thought that if it was dental related that there'd be other signs?

Just to say thanks v much for PM, and will reply tomorrow (just home from work :D)

Looks a bit ... hmmm ... severe! xx Take care xx

Thank-you. The details of his previous "mites" episodes are detailed under a post titled reoccurring mites which I posted in April. X

Sometimes with early stages of spurs their aren't any obvious symptoms or changes are very subtle e.g. a slightly change in food preference or behaviour, and it takes a few go arounds to work out what your buns symptoms will be. So it could be a spur triggers him to overgroom, or it could be mites flare up with stress with then triggers the grooming. Or it could be unrelated.

I think you'll probably need a checkup and get the vet to check the teeth, if he does have a spur developing you'll know for next time that's one of his clues. Which is a handy thing really, as you can then get his teeth done before they get to the stage when they effect him enough to stop eating etc.

Thanks for your advice. He's booked into the vets for Tuesday to get him checked over. I've gone through all possible options I can think of so will see what the vet says,it's because it's reoccurring that I'm concerned so I can get to the bottom of it and prevent it happening again. He has no reason to be stressed, plenty of room, hay, water, things to chew on and seems very content with Daisy. I'm wondering if it is a spur given the jaw problem. Just want him to be ok and not sad or in pain. It's at times like this that I wish bunnnies could talk, so he could tell me what's wrong! 🐇

Managed to get the appointment changed to today. Vet checked him over and said not mites or ringworm and there is no sign of a spur. Suggested it could be due to stress that he's pulled his fur out, he's a very happy, spoilt bunny so has nothing to be stressed about!Although him and Daisy were temporarily moved into a large pen in our lounge whilst their room was being decorated and I guess not having access to "his room" could have stressed him out a bit, he is a sensitive soul! Guess I've got to trust the vet and keep an eye on him.

Managed to get the appointment changed to today. Vet checked him over and said not mites or ringworm and there is no sign of a spur. Suggested it could be due to stress that he's pulled his fur out, he's a very happy, spoilt bunny so has nothing to be stressed about!Although him and Daisy were temporarily moved into a large pen in our lounge whilst their room was being decorated and I guess not having access to "his room" could have stressed him out a bit, he is a sensitive soul! Guess I've got to trust the vet and keep an eye on him.

Firstly, a vet cannot diagnose ringworm by sight alone (ref my PM to you)

Secondly, a vet cannot see the molars unless a rabbit is sedated (unless you have a rare vet who does conscious dentals)

Thirdly, rabbits get stressed by things we have no knowledge of. We make assumptions they are 'happy', but are they?

Thanks , so hard to know what to do for the best. The latest bald patch isn't even really bald now, the fur is already growing back. My husband took him to the vets so need to wait until this evening to speak to him to find out exactly what vet said.

Last edited:
Thanks, so hard what to do for the best. The latest bald patch isn't even really bald now, the fur is already growing back. My husband took him to the vets so need to wait until this evening to speak to him to find out exactly what vet said.

God yes I know, it's so difficult! Added to which, we expect ourselves to know as much/more than the vet!

I think keeping an eye and noting down what happens will have to be the way to go ..... It could all resolve itself, hopefully :)

The second pic (from the previous time) appeared very quickly, went out and it wasn't there, came home a couple of hours later to the baldness. His fur grew back fine. We couldn't see any flakes or dandruff but vet diagnosed mites. He was again diagnosed with mites shortly after a suspected spur, again had treatment for mites and fur grew back fine.

He doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. He does like to keep himself super clean, so i did wonder if it's over grooming. He did break his jaw when he was very young, but vet said his teeth are pretty much aligned. His first case of the bald patch was well over a year after he broke his jaw. He's eating plenty of hay and perfectly normal in himself. I would have thought that if it was dental related that there'd be other signs?

Was his jaw fracture on his right side ?

His jaw fracture was his left side. I am a huge worrier at the best of times. I just want to make sure I'm doing the best I can to make sure he's happy and healthy. I watch him like a hawk so pick up on anything strange or different in him pretty quick. All I can do I guess is keep an eye on him for now.

Back