• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My newest family member...

k1984

Mama Doe
I've had her just over a month, after seeing her running around near where I live. Despite many unsuccessful attempts at catching her, i finally did after nearly a week...a Saturday morning. I brought her into the house wrapped up in my jacket to the surprise of my husband! She was extremely frightened and very flighty. You could also feel her spine and ribs, so although in good health, quite thin...which leads us to thinking she'd been out and about for a bit.
I phoned the RSPCA immediately, who checked to see if a bunny had been reported missing. They had no record of her. I said I had her in a carrier, but had a spare indoor cage. They took my number and details and said if one was reported, they would contact me. In the meantime, I was to advertise and knock on neighbours doors to see if they had lost a bunny. They gave me the phone number of the inspector and suggested I call on Monday but as they had no record of a missing rabbit, I would have to go down the route of 'abandonment' for her, as in effect, she had been.

During that weekend (and since!), I have followed all the advice, but in just over a month, no one has claimed her as theirs or reported her missing. The RSPCA say that it's quite common for pet bunnies to be released, or escape without owners bothering! How heartbreaking.

Well, it's been over a month, and she's still here. I've spent a month saying I won't be keeping her, as I never planned to have another rabbit..or pet for that matter. However....attached is what I've become. Even the hubby has a soft spot for her, and my mother-in-law has nicknamed her 'Bambi' due to the tiny little frame. The best name we have come up with is 'Greyie'...original :roll: :oops: for her, as we didn't plan on keeping her, but now I think she needs a proper name :love;

She has been to the vets and the vet is pleased with her weight now, and says she is clearly feeling loved an cared for. :love: He estimates her at around just under a year old. I had her spayed yesterday, and although she was very quiet yesterday and feeling very sorry for herself, leaving me very, very worried...she is much more her usual self today, and has been having a nibble at various foods I've been tempting her with.

I've really grown attached to her. I love her so much, and everyone can see the bond we have. I never planned to have her. I never went looking. I guess it was meant to be. She's my special little girl :love: :love: :love:

A video taken an hour ago...

P.S.
Name suggestions greatly received!

Lucky is the name that springs to mind as she's been extremely fortunate to have you as her 'bunny mummy.' However, I think she deserves a prettier name than that. I shall have a think and I'm sure everyone else will have plenty of name suggestions.

So glad she found her way to you and into your heart!

Some pretty names off the top of my head:Lilly,Rosie,Lottie,Milly,Ivy.

Good luck with her.Shes a very lucky bun.

Yes she's a lucky bun!

Pet owners often release them, as you've been told. Some with the misguided impression that they actually doing their rabbit a favour as they want out of the hutch.

Back