• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A sister of a bonded pair has died

Hi:wave:

One of our two rabbits as died (not sure if its flystrike but its clean around the bum) yesterday and her sister was guarding her.
Is there anyway to keep her from getting sad at the moment? We are going to bond her with my sisters rabbit in a few weeks but to stop her from going of her food and water.

Thanks
Lissie :love:

I am sorry you have lost one of your rabbits.

Is the rabbit you are hoping to bond her with a male or female?

Is your rabbit neutered?

If she is not neutered you would need to have a neutered buck to bond her with. The chances of 2 unneutered females getting along are very slim and fighting would most certainly occur. Just because she seemed happy with her sister does not mean she will get along with another female unfortunately.

If both your female and the other presumed female are both neutered you would need to introduce them in a neutral space where your rabbit has not been before. You will need to keep them together unless they fight for a week say, and if they seem compatible you could then transfer them to the area where they will be living. In the week when you are bonding you must neutralise the hutch/shed as best as you can so nothing smells of your female.

How old is your rabbit and how old is the rabbit you are hoping to bond her with?

Hi

Yes my rabbit is neutered and the rabbit we are going to bond her with is a female.
The rabbit we will bond her with is around 3-5 im not sure and my bunny is 2 1/4.
Thank you for replying so quick! :)

Hi:wave:

One of our two rabbits as died (not sure if its flystrike but its clean around the bum) yesterday and her sister was guarding her.
Is there anyway to keep her from getting sad at the moment? We are going to bond her with my sisters rabbit in a few weeks but to stop her from going of her food and water.

Thanks
Lissie :love:

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm sorry your rabbit died :cry:

If it were flystrike you would not see a clean bum! I should make sure you know (as far as possible) why the rabbit died before bonding with another, in case it's contagious. Are the rabbits vaccinated? A vet visit to ascertain health of remaining rabbit would be a good idea!

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm sorry your rabbit died :cry:

If it were flystrike you would not see a clean bum! I should make sure you know (as far as possible) why the rabbit died before bonding with another, in case it's contagious. Are the rabbits vaccinated? A vet visit to ascertain health of remaining rabbit would be a good idea!

Well the rabbit that died was quite nervy and jumpy and didn't really like human contact. We also think she died from a heart attack or a tumor.
She isn't vaccinated though and we are thinking it would be a good idea, and checking with a vet if she got anything from her sister. When I found her sister, she had a few insects on her rear end and it was a bit dirty. She was found with her eyes open ( don't know if that makes a diffrence ).

Back