• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

tree climbing

Pip&Milo

Warren Scout
I have to share this story with people who will appreciate my horror!!
We only have a very small garden but of course milo loves playing out there
I always thought it was completely secure, the walls are to tall to hop and it's Completely paved aside from some flower beds with only soil which he loves to dig (they're concrete underneath ) there's a neighbors cat but they get along fine. I obviously never leave him completely unsupervised but I don't worry if I need to nip inside to the toilet or something. Anyway a few weeks back I had popped in and when I came back there was no sign of him
I wasn't worried he has lots of hidey holes. Then I notice something In the tree in the corner. I go to investigate thinking it must be ozzy (the cat) but low and behold there's milo sat about my head height In the tree lazily munching on leaves! I looked at him put my hands out and said "what are you doing? !" And suddenly he panicked, scrambled to get out got stuck in the branches. I reached in to get him out but it's a pretty overgrown tree! He had branches poking here there and everywhere caterpillars crawling on him and I just couldn't get him out. Of course by this point I'm pretty hysterical trying my best to stay calm when he realises that behind him is a trellis leading to the garden behind. He dives for it and I grab him half way through and hold on in panic (they have a dog) he scrambles back looks terrified and I literally don't know what to do. I figure if I can trim the branches I can get him out so run in the house and when I come back seconds later there he is...flopped in the flower beds like "hey mum what's up? "
I rang my partner in tears who said "rabbits can't climb trees!"
Needless to say...now I do worry if I need to pop inside lol!

That must have been really worrying. I have never heard of a rabbit climbing a tree but I know they can jump very high if they want to. Rabbits!

Well, Lopsy's climbed his run once or twice and Has No Fear, so I'd expect him to be anywhere if I freeranged him, even in next door's buddleia! There are stories of rabbits in trees :) Unlike hedgehogs, they don't have a soft landing when they fall (hedgehogs are good climbers too :)).

I know they are suppose to stay on the ground, but rabbits do seem to love to get up on top of things, I guess a tree with the right footholes is just another box to sit on top of...with built in snacks.

How about training him to hope in a box on command for a treat - that way you could be sure he's safe and not getting into trouble when you have to pop inside.

We have pots full of plants about 2 ft off the ground. Widget aged 3 yrs loves to climb up among them. I was quite concerned the first time he did it and he also aids and abets Ginny who is 8 yrs plus. They lie under the plants, lavender, budleia, etc. and sit in the pots. They particularly enjoy the herbs and blackberries.

Spot the rabbit.

Last edited:
anything they can get onto they will, I once had a nethie named rosie, she climbed the drainpipe yes the drainpipe, it was one at angle but she was 3ft up looking proud :lol:

Flipping heck! :shock:

Apache loves to climb up furniture (I've had to rescue him from bookshelves before) but I can't picture a rabbit up a tree! I wonder if wildies ever go for a climb??

Kizzy is my Ninja rabbit, outside she climbs trees and shuffles along 1.5inch windowsills. Indoors she jumps onto the side table from there she can hop onto the sofa and then onto the top of the sofa which is wide enough for to hop along it. This is fine if we realize she's there, if not and she jumps onto your shoulder down on to your lap and then onto the floor at high speed it can be a bit of a shock. Especially if the light is turned down and you're watching a horror movie. :evil:

Back