• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit ageing metric

Django

Young Bun
Trying to come up with a metric for ageing my rabbits, so far I've been using:
Domestic rabbit maximum likely age = 12yrs
Human maximum likely age (my guess) = 100yrs
Human equivalent age = 100 / 12 X (Rabbit age) = 8.333 X (Rabbit age)

However a quick search on the Internet reveals that:
Oldest domestic rabbit = 18yrs
Oldest human = 121yrs
Human equivalent age = 121 / 18 X (Rabbit age) = 6.722 X (Rabbit age)

Which is more accurate? What do other users use?

Last edited:
I go on 10 human to 1 bunny year - no idea why or how far off the mark that is. Interested to hear more...

I think 10 human years to 1 bunny would be a good rough guide. You're using outliers rather than averages - for human 80 (rounding) is about average and for bunnies 8.

It doesn't quite work like that though as rabbits develop a lot faster - so a rabbit goes from helpless babies to independent in 6 weeks - adult size in 6-8 months. Also rabbits tend to age quite well and decline more abruptly - a 7 year old rabbit can often act like a 4 year old rabbit in terms of fitness, where as there are quite a few changes in most 70 year old people.

I read somewhere recently that my 5 month olds are equivalent to a 14 year old human, teenage stage would fit nice, but it alters as they get older. If I can find it I'll put it on here.

Back