• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chance of survival in wild?

toritilla

Young Bun
Hi, so I'll cut to the chase, I currently have 2 bunnies, but up until around 4 months ago I had 3 :(

My youngest bunny Winnie escaped from his hutch on a day when I happened to be at my boyfriends, so I got a call from my mom who told me and I cried my eyes out obviously as he was a beauty, and honestly such a friendly little guy. When I got home me and the family looked everywhere for him, I posted leaflets, knocked on doors, put his picture on Facebook and checked neighbours gardens...nothing.
Except for the first week we knew he was coming back to the garden as there were fresh dig holes and he had been in his hutch and ate the food we'd put out for him. Me and my boyfriend would stay out till late at night and get up ridiculously early to try and spot him but we never did. Anyway this was back at the end of March and we haven't seen him since so I'd given up.

However I do see some dig holes around the garden frequently but have always dismissed them as I don't like to get my hopes up, the last few weeks there have been many fresh dig holes, some quite big and some small, do you think theres any chance he's somehow survived? I live in a street with a long string of gardens all connected with plenty of plants and grass.

I know there's a possibility of it being another animal but there's never been dig holes before Winnie got out, and although foxes are sometimes seen on the street, they've never been seen in gardens.

I don't know I guess I'm just clinging on to a last bit of hope and wondered if anyone else had ever experienced something similar?

Just thank you for reading [emoji4]

Oh no, what a sad tale...

I honestly would think the likelihood in an urban setting may not be great unless of course,
A. Someone has taken her in or b) unless she has managed to dig in somewhere and subsist on plants and grass..

It may well be your bunny . Can you place a camera somewhere to spy?..
Foxes, dogs and some cats can be brutal but sadly, I guess that's your worry...

Have you facebooked, put notes up in local windows or asked the rescue places, you just never know your luck...

I hope she is Okay..... Somewhere..:(

Fee x

It certainly sounds like he's still about. I truly hope it's him and you can soon round him up. When I thought I'd lost a bunny years ago I let one of my others out a she kept stamping and then Opera appeared from a big hole under some plant pots and bricks. Can you put one of your others in a carrier near a hole and maybe Winnie will come out. Then you'd know! You could always ask to borrow a cat trap from Cats protection or pdsa or a rescue near you.

@Fee
Thank you for your reply, yeah I got everyone to share it on Facebook, and i checked local shelter websites frequently, however the nearest shelter to me is in Birmingham which isn't all that 'local' sadly :(
I got the impression that winnie had stayed 'near by' due to the dig holes but who knows x

Your best bet would be borrowing a webcam or some such - then IF you see winnie you will have to try and catch him as even if he has survived this long long term survival in the wild is almost impossible. However the holes may be squirrels. But it is best to know -

@Fluffybunny54
I certainly could try that, I'd try anything to be honest :(, I really do hope it's him, thank you for your reply :)

@parsnipbun I thought of that when he first got out but I'm not sure where I'd borrow or get one from, as for squirrels, although you're probably right I have to say I've never seen any squirrels around the gardens near me, thank you for the camera suggestion anyway :)

i thought the camera idea was a good one, I bought a mini "spy" camera that is activated by motion for about 20 quid - something like that would do the job.

Although a pet bunny surviving by himself sounds unlikely I think the holes are really encouraging signs & there is hope. We do hear of what inspirational little fighters rabbits are - I hope your bunny is one of them & you get him back home safe & sound. Dietary needs of pet bunnies are no different to wild bunnies so I can't see why he can't help himself to the right amount of food during this time

@joey&boo ah I'll look into it thank you, and yeah I assumed he wouldn't of survived also, but the amount of dig holes is just too odd to ignore, I'm glad it's summer and not too cold but if he is out there I feel sorry for him with all the rain lately, poor soul haha

I really hope it is your bun, I think a cat trap would be a good idea, as mentioned in the previous post, baited with something you know your bun likes. If it was me, I'd stay up, sit somewhere quiet and keep watch, if a camera isn't an option. Good luck !

I would sit up all night and wait. Buns are active twilight and dawn. OK so you'll have an uncomfy night, but surely it's worth it. you need to know you've exhausted every avenue then. He's nice and cosy in those burrows. he has to come out for food. Good Luck.

@Pets mum
I think I may start keeping watch again as I did when I first lost him, even if it does turn out to be another animal, at least I know :)

@Fluffybunny54
He definitely is worth it and I'm certainly going to drag the boyfriend out to sit with me ;) I need to know if it's him or not

He may not come if he can sense/smell you (and any other wild animal that may be making the holes definitely wont) so you may find a webcam type thing the best option . .

He may not come if he can sense/smell you (and any other wild animal that may be making the holes definitely wont) so you may find a webcam type thing the best option . .
Okay I shall keep that in mind, there are only two gaps in the fence at the top of the garden which he could of gotten out of, so I may be able to position myself far enough away that he won't sense me maybe.

You might find a local rescue could loan you a humane trap like they use for trapping cats if it is him and you can't get close.

If you wanted to try a little detective work. Having an area of damp mud, lose soil or sand with some veggies in the middle may give you tracks - rabbits are fairly easy to identify.

I think the web cam is a great idea.

This may seem silly but keep trying the local RSPCA's and not just the ones closest to you.

I found my Kizzy rabbit in my front garden, not knowing anything about rabbits at the time I handed her to the RSPCA (I did knock on doors and post flyer etc). When I phoned the RSPCA a week later they couldn't trace her at first, and it took some persistence to track her down. I kept in touch after that and when no one claimed her, I adopted her. I was surprised to find that far from being in the closest RSPCA she bypassed the three closest to me and ended up in an animal shelter quite a distance away. I suppose it comes down to which centre has space at the time. If your bun was taken to the RSPCA anytime since going missing back in March they could still be there.

Best of luck

Last edited:
@Tasmin I'm happy to try some detective work, I'll give the damp mud a go, thank you.

And @Britannia, okay I'll take a look at some shelters a little further away, I guess anything is possible :)

Back