• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cheyenne is coming home - needs injections

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Cheyenne still isn't eating but as she is easy to syringe feed she'll be coming home this afternoon. Hopefully being at home and back with Lenny will help.

But I have to give her injections[emoji16] ..I've never done this before so am eager to learn -vets will show me how. But am quite nervous about it all.

Just keeping fingers crossed that all goes okay with her re-bonding with Lenny too.

Glad she is coming home & bonding vibes for her & Lenny. Most people seem to take injecting their buns in their stride (not me unfortunately:oops:) so I'm sure you'll be fine with some good tuition. What are the injections? I've had to inject my prev buns with penicillin which was ok to start but the prepared needles used to kind of seize up - maybe discuss what to do if this happens. Tramadol was easier.

I am a wuss though, I can do anything gory for my buns but terrified of procedures where I could hurt them, after 23 years of bunny ownership I still don't like cutting their nails

I've never had to do this, but would if necessary, as I'm a good way from the vets. I'm sure you'll be fine once you've been shown, good luck !

I was taught how to do injections a couple of months ago and honestly it is very easy after the first couple of times where I was really nervous!

Good luck :wave:

I much prefer giving injections than giving oral meds !!

If it is Depocillin or another Penicillin you are injecting you need to be ultra careful that no leakage occurs from the injection site that Cheyenne's companion could lick off. I am sure Mark + Co will tell you all about that though.

So glad that Cheyenne is able to return home xx

I practised at the vets with some water and it went okay -apart from shaking hands😊
Julian did warn me to make sure any leakage is carefully wiped away.
Lenny is being a wee sod and keeps attacking Cheyenne. ..she bounced straight over to him and started grooming him which was fine but as soon as she stopped he went for her.
We kept trying for 2 hours but she was getting so tired so I've separated them for the night and start again tomorrow treating it as a completely new bond.

But she is so much better - really bright. And nibbling at bits of foodv so that's really good.

Good to hear she's doing good & already nibbling on her own, I bet she is really happy to be home. I'd maybe give her a wee bit more recovery time before rebonding?

Glad Cheyenne has been able to come home and that she's started to eat a bit :wave:

I've had to give Scrappy three separate courses of penicillin injections and I agree with Catherine, once you've got the first couple out of the way you'll feel a lot more confident about doing them. Other RU members kindly gave me some very helpful tips in this thread here (especially useful if you have drawn up syringes and it gets stuck):

/http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?441773-Quick-Duphapen-and-needle-tip-question/page2&highlight=duphapen

I think we've been so very lucky with our bonding so far.
This rebonding of Lenny and Cheyenne is a nightmare.
Had to separate them last night as Lenny kept attacking Cheyenne.
This morning I took them for a long car ride and they are now in a completely neutral small area.
Lenny still keeps attacking her -he is demanding grooming from her and she is giving a bit but not enough. He seems scared of her too.
I am now going to completely clean out their normal pen and neutralise is as much as possible.
Have had to call in sick at work.
This is going to be a lonnng day.

Back