• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lots more questions...

Plushlops

Young Bun
Hi all

I will be collecting my babies next week at 8 weeks old.

I have some questions regarding their home.

I have bought them a 6 x 4 shed and will be making a 6 x 4 run to have permanently attached. I make this 48sq ft? I am rubbish at maths. Is this enough do you think?

Do I need to insulate the hutch or will they be OK?

It has 3 windows with I'm going to replace with mesh and shutters.

I have seen a small hutch that I am going to put in there for their bed, Ill take the mesh door off and leave the wooden one. Will this be warm enough in the winter?

I saw someone on here recommending stable floor mats. Would this be OK for in the shed and run? I was looking at this, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8m-x1-2...430?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9e7319ee

Would they be able to dig and pull up the corners? I have concrete where the run is going but its very uneven so thought this would be ideal with some slabs at one end for different textures and a cool spot in the summer.

Many Thanks

x

ETA Also is this paint OK to use, http://www.diy.com/departments/rons...d-fence-stain-with-preserver-5l/152702_BQ.prd

Last edited:
Hello. Ronseal doesnt say anything about being animal friendly so it probably isnt. I use cuprinol garden shades for my sheds and hutches which is safe for pets.

I am not sure about the shed/run total size (my maths isnt great either) but a shed run combo is the best imo. I have three sheds with runs attached all weld meshed. Two on earth one on concrete. All my sheds are lined with lino off cuts.

A hutch with the door off sounds great (my quad have that as do my two belgian hares). The main thing is that the rabbits have a draught proof dry area. They seem to cope well with cold, especially if they have a friend or two to cuddle up to as yours will have.

I got my first two from a pet shop. It was a very expensive and hassle filled time getting them both neutering and bonded (re-bonding after they fell out). My other six are all rescues, ready neutered and bonded (phew). I bonded the pet shop boys with two rescue sisters. They all get on just great. The other four rabbits consist of two pairs.

It would be great to see pics of your babies. Baby rabbits are just adorable!

I think the square footage will be ok for now. You may find you want to improve on the run area in time, it depends on the size and whether your rabbits are very energetic. Rabbits don't feel the cold, unless it gets below -5 say, but in a shed they are more protected than a hutch anyway. They like something to jump on, like the top of a hutch or table and a biggish litter tray :D

Back