• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New here and lots of questions...

Plushlops

Young Bun
Hi all.

I am picking up my 2 babies next week and there's some questions I have.

What is the best age to have them vaccinated? They will be 8 weeks.

Do I need to have them microchipped?

Im not sure what sex they are until I choose mine but when it comes to neutering if they are opposite sex should I take them both in together and insist the vet puts them back together straight away?

When should I first treat them for fleas and worms? I will be using Advantage and Panacur. What is the recommended routine? They will need to be flea treated as I have a lot of others pets. Will the Advantage deter mites and flies or should I use different treatments? But then I am worried about putting so many chemicals on such a tiny baby.

That all I can think of for now, but I am sure I will think of more.

Many Thanks

Hello there! I can answer some of your queries. You can have your bunnies vaccinated straightaway. We don't tend to worm rabbits unless we suspect they have them and I will leave the flea question to someone else.

Boys can be neutered at around 14 weeks girls from 5 months. It depends on their weight and if the Vet is happy to do it at this age.

When you collect them, ask the breeder if they are used to eating vegetables so you will know you can feed them straightaway instead of waiting until they are about 12 weeks old. :thumb:

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Personally I don't routinely flea treat rabbits and I'm not sure i've heard of anyone who does. They got fleas once, possibly from my landlady's cat, so I did a one off treatment and that was that.

I just don't think it's necessary to repeatedly treat unless they're in a situation where they're going to be constantly reinfested.

Re: microchipping, it would be worth it if they're living outdoors as they could possibly escape. I don't bother chipping mine as they're house rabbits so unless they cut a spare key to the front door, they're going nowhere ;)

Not sure about the other things I'm afraid!

Hello

As others have said your new Rabbits can be vaccinated straight away once they have both had a thorough Vet check. The Nobivac Myxo-RHD Vaccine can be given from the age of 5 weeks:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Compendium-datasheets_by_company/Companies/-28293.html

Many people do opt to have their Rabbits Microchipped and I believe the RSPCA recommend it. However it is not compulsory.

I would not use any flea treatments as a preventative unless explicitly advised to do so by my Rabbit Savvy Vet in whom I have 100% trust. At this point I'll mention the importance of locating a Rabbit Savvy Vet. Whilst small animal Vets may be great with Cats and Dogs a Vet who is clued up about Rabbit Medicine is a rare 'breed' ! So I would not assume that the Vet you use for your Cats and Dogs will have much of a clue about Rabbits.

Regarding Panacur, I do not routinely treat my Rabbits for intestinal worms. I do give a one off 28 day course of Panacur to a New Rabbit as a means of EC control. There is much conflicting advice about the management and treatment of EC though, even amongst Vets. There is some information about EC here:

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

As Tonibun says, Bucks can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop. This usually happens between the ages of 12-14 weeks.
Does can be spayed at 5-6 months

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

The Babies are very cute, they are not plush lops though ! So if the Breeder is claiming they are I'd not rely on their ability to accurately sex the Babies you choose. The Breeder may say you are having 2 Bucks and in reality you could end up with a Buck and a Doe. A few months down the line and the inevitable will happen !! So I'd get a Rabbit Savvy Vet to confirm the genders of the babies ASAP

Good luck xx

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Personally I don't routinely flea treat rabbits and I'm not sure i've heard of anyone who does. They got fleas once, possibly from my landlady's cat, so I did a one off treatment and that was that.

I just don't think it's necessary to repeatedly treat unless they're in a situation where they're going to be constantly reinfested.

Re: microchipping, it would be worth it if they're living outdoors as they could possibly escape. I don't bother chipping mine as they're house rabbits so unless they cut a spare key to the front door, they're going nowhere ;)

Not sure about the other things I'm afraid!

Thanks for the welcome.

See I have 9 cats and 5 dogs and although I treat them all every month I do worry. x

Hello

As others have said your new Rabbits can be vaccinated straight away once they have both had a thorough Vet check. The Nobivac Myxo-RHD Vaccine can be given from the age of 5 weeks:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Compendium-datasheets_by_company/Companies/-28293.html

Many people do opt to have their Rabbits Microchipped and I believe the RSPCA recommend it. However it is not compulsory.

I would not use any flea treatments as a preventative unless explicitly advised to do so by my Rabbit Savvy Vet in whom I have 100% trust. At this point I'll mention the importance of locating a Rabbit Savvy Vet. Whilst small animal Vets may be great with Cats and Dogs a Vet who is clued up about Rabbit Medicine is a rare 'breed' ! So I would not assume that the Vet you use for your Cats and Dogs will have much of a clue about Rabbits.

Regarding Panacur, I do not routinely treat my Rabbits for intestinal worms. I do give a one off 28 day course of Panacur to a New Rabbit as a means of EC control. There is much conflicting advice about the management and treatment of EC though, even amongst Vets. There is some information about EC here:

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

As Tonibun says, Bucks can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop. This usually happens between the ages of 12-14 weeks.
Does can be spayed at 5-6 months

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

The Babies are very cute, they are not plush lops though ! So if the Breeder is claiming they are I'd not rely on their ability to accurately sex the Babies you choose. The Breeder may say you are having 2 Bucks and in reality you could end up with a Buck and a Doe. A few months down the line and the inevitable will happen !! So I'd get a Rabbit Savvy Vet to confirm the genders of the babies ASAP

Good luck xx

Hi,

I will make the nearest appointment available for there vacs. Is it recommended to let them settle for a while in their new home before vet visits?

I think I will have them chipped to be on the safe side.

I will have a call about and see what the vets here recommend re flea treatment. I think I have an exotic vet close to me, I will find out.

As they are new rabbits should I treat them the once to be on the safe side, I am worried about E.C.

As for the neutering my question was should I take them to the vets together, I mean for the bonding, I have read they should not be separated.

Can I ask why you think they are not Plush lops?

Thanks for the links and taking the time to reply. x

Hello there! I can answer some of your queries. You can have your bunnies vaccinated straightaway. We don't tend to worm rabbits unless we suspect they have them and I will leave the flea question to someone else.

Boys can be neutered at around 14 weeks girls from 5 months. It depends on their weight and if the Vet is happy to do it at this age.

When you collect them, ask the breeder if they are used to eating vegetables so you will know you can feed them straightaway instead of waiting until they are about 12 weeks old. :thumb:

Thanks for the advice x

Thanks for the welcome.

See I have 9 cats and 5 dogs and although I treat them all every month I do worry. x

Hi,

I will make the nearest appointment available for there vacs. Is it recommended to let them settle for a while in their new home before vet visits?

I think I will have them chipped to be on the safe side.

I will have a call about and see what the vets here recommend re flea treatment. I think I have an exotic vet close to me, I will find out.

As they are new rabbits should I treat them the once to be on the safe side, I am worried about E.C.

As for the neutering my question was should I take them to the vets together, I mean for the bonding, I have read they should not be separated.

Can I ask why you think they are not Plush lops?

Thanks for the links and taking the time to reply. x

I always try to keep bonded Rabbits together when they are neutered. Unless of course I have a Buck and a Doe in which case I would separate them by 12 weeks at the latest and rebond them after both have been neutered.

As for the breed type (not that it matters as all Bunnies are :love:) Plush Lops are not a Standardised breed in the UK at the moment, although they are in the USA/Canada. Plush Lops are a mix of Rex, Mini Lop and Dwarf Lop (known as a Holland Lop in the US). Their coats are like a Rex Rabbit. The Kits in your photo are extremely fluffy, they may be a Lionhead X. I am not too sure they will fully Lop either. The runty looking one on the second right may do. The others could have 'helicopter ears'.

I would ask the Breeder to show you the paper work re the Kits parentage/grand parents. You should be able to see the parents too.

I notice you are in Essex. William Lewis is a very good Exotics Vet, not sure if this Surgery is anywhere near you

http://www.orchidvets.co.uk/veterinary-staff/

Hope all goes well with your new additions xx

I always try to keep bonded Rabbits together when they are neutered. Unless of course I have a Buck and a Doe in which case I would separate them by 12 weeks at the latest and rebond them after both have been neutered.

As for the breed type (not that it matters as all Bunnies are :love:) Plush Lops are not a Standardised breed in the UK at the moment, although they are in the USA/Canada. Plush Lops are a mix of Rex, Mini Lop and Dwarf Lop (known as a Holland Lop in the US). Their coats are like a Rex Rabbit. The Kits in your photo are extremely fluffy, they may be a Lionhead X. I am not too sure they will fully Lop either. The runty looking one on the second right may do. The others could have 'helicopter ears'.

I would ask the Breeder to show you the paper work re the Kits parentage/grand parents. You should be able to see the parents too.

I notice you are in Essex. William Lewis is a very good Exotics Vet, not sure if this Surgery is anywhere near you

http://www.orchidvets.co.uk/veterinary-staff/

Hope all goes well with your new additions xx

I have found a vet that will neuter both on at same day at 16 weeks.

I have added some more pics of the kits and of mum and dad. Mum is white Dad is Blue self. She doesn't have any lionheads. She only has mini lops, mini rex and nethies.

My bunnies have been all rescues in the past and I went to this breeder because I was looking for a particular breed. She said their adult coat would be softer and shorter as they age and their ears should be dropped by 12 weeks.

Thank you for the vet recommendation, only about 3 miles from me so I will give them a call. x

I have found a vet that will neuter both on at same day at 16 weeks.

I have added some more pics of the kits and of mum and dad. Mum is white Dad is Blue self. She doesn't have any lionheads. She only has mini lops, mini rex and nethies.

My bunnies have been all rescues in the past and I went to this breeder because I was looking for a particular breed. She said their adult coat would be softer and shorter as they age and their ears should be dropped by 12 weeks.

Thank you for the vet recommendation, only about 3 miles from me so I will give them a call. x

Mum looks to have a longer coat type so maybe that would account for how fluffy the kits are. In Canada there is a 'Curly Plush Lop' which occurs when the Astrex gene is included in the mix. An Astrex is a curly coated Rex.Unless you are intending to breed then I dont think it'll matter if their coat is never a true plush or if their ears dont fully lop. I am sure they will be adorable whatever happens. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all !!

Back