• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Cover....

MrsDavies

New Kit
Hey! I'm new to this site. I adopted a rabbit two days ago! He is gorgeous. He is a Netherland Dwarf (I think?!) I have the hutch currently outside in the garden and I'm in the process of clearing out my outhouse ready for the winter months for him. Problem is, it's been raining all day today and is due to carry on over the next few days. My question is, does he need a cover during this weather? I'm also paranoid about the neighbourhood cats terrorising him at night... Although I haven't seen this happen yet. I've just cleaned his hutch out and I've put a duvet cover over his hutch hoping that will stop the rain getting to him (it's over the front) but I'm worried that this will affect him as he obviously can't see out? So.. I've been thinking of just putting the duvet cover on overnight so the neighbourhood cats can't see him (if they do come in the garden that is) and for extra warmth and leaving it of in the day, even if it is raining? Would that be right? Is he okay if he gets a bit of rain on him? Would he just go in his enclosed bit of the hutch if it was bothering him? Sorry for all the questions, I just want him to be a healthy, happy little bunny so want to do all the right things! A bit of added information for you is he comes in for an hour a day although were only doing this during Summer as we know the temp change can be dangerous in Winter.... He can't be an indoor bunny as we have two cats but as I said, in Winter he'll be in the outhouse which I'm going to make into a little bunny haven for him! Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated...

Hello there! I do like to cover my hutches if it's going to rain a lot, especially if the wind is blowing. The thing to watch out for is not to let his bedding get wet often as he would probably sit on it. Also the hutch will last longer if it stays dry. Won't a duvet cover get blown about too much in the wind?

I assume he has permanent access to an attached run, so can go out if he wants, so as long as he has plenty of hay in his hutch he should be warm enough. You could certainly cover the front of the hutch if it is very wet and at night.

I got clear tarp. from ebay to cover the runs in the heavy rain. I have moved house since then and now have three sheds with runs attached. Much more sheltered and spacious.

Clear tarp is good cos they still get the light but no rain.

Does your rabbit have a run?

:wave: it's lovely that you want to make sure your little one is nice and cosy, but I wouldn't recommend using duvets for a couple of reasons. First, when something like this gets wet, it will actually draw heat out of the hutch rather than keep it in, and second, it risks getting the air in the hutch stale and damp and that's how bunnies can end up getting respiratory infections. If you want to cover the front, I'd recommend something like clear tarpaulin or removable perspex which can be put in place when it's wet and cold but which won't hold the damp and which can be positioned to allow decent air flow around them. These would then also mean that your little one could still peer out and get some nice daylight. At this time of year it's not quite so necessary for 'cosiness' but obviously you don't want driving rain from making all the hutch wet, so any covers can be fairly loose at the moment just to stop the wet getting in. Does he have a run attached to his hutch at the moment so he can get some exercise whenever he likes? If so, then this will give him extra opportunities to get some fresh air if there are covers over his hutch.

Hello there! I do like to cover my hutches if it's going to rain a lot, especially if the wind is blowing. The thing to watch out for is not to let his bedding get wet often as he would probably sit on it. Also the hutch will last longer if it stays dry. Won't a duvet cover get blown about too much in the wind?

Thank you for your advice. It does a bit yes although I've secured it down the best I can.

Of course, what would really keep him cosy and happy is a companion to snuggle into. ;)

I've heard quite a few people say that to me although Pets At Home told me that he would probably prefer to be on his own because he was bullied a lot whilst up for adoption to the point they had to move him to another store.... So I'm not sure what to do......

Thank you for the advice 😃

I got clear tarp. from ebay to cover the runs in the heavy rain. I have moved house since then and now have three sheds with runs attached. Much more sheltered and spacious.

Clear tarp is good cos they still get the light but no rain.

Does your rabbit have a run?

Thank you for your advice. Tarp also sounds like a good idea... Do you have an idea on the price of it?

:wave: it's lovely that you want to make sure your little one is nice and cosy, but I wouldn't recommend using duvets for a couple of reasons. First, when something like this gets wet, it will actually draw heat out of the hutch rather than keep it in, and second, it risks getting the air in the hutch stale and damp and that's how bunnies can end up getting respiratory infections. If you want to cover the front, I'd recommend something like clear tarpaulin or removable perspex which can be put in place when it's wet and cold but which won't hold the damp and which can be positioned to allow decent air flow around them. These would then also mean that your little one could still peer out and get some nice daylight. At this time of year it's not quite so necessary for 'cosiness' but obviously you don't want driving rain from making all the hutch wet, so any covers can be fairly loose at the moment just to stop the wet getting in. Does he have a run attached to his hutch at the moment so he can get some exercise whenever he likes? If so, then this will give him extra opportunities to get some fresh air if there are covers over his hutch.

Thank you for all of your advice. I didn't realise that so thanks for telling me. Could I ask what removable perspex is? Thanks again 😃

I've heard quite a few people say that to me although Pets At Home told me that he would probably prefer to be on his own because he was bullied a lot whilst up for adoption to the point they had to move him to another store.... So I'm not sure what to do......

Sigh.....more terrible advice from P@H sadly. If you get your little guy neutered, there's no reason why he wouldn't bond to another bunny (might not be the first one you try with, but there's not many bunnies who will never bond!). Of course a load of un neutered males are going to fight, ridiculous advice and sadly too often sentences a bunny to a life alone :(

I don't know why P@H give out such dreadful and ill-informed so-called advice. I wish their staff were better trained - a vain hope I fear.

Anyway, I doubt very much that your little chap would be unable to be bonded, once neutered (would need about 6 weeks for the hormones to die down).
Not sure where you live, but there are plenty of Rescues with beautiful rabbits waiting to be adopted, and many will help with bonding.

Good luck - keep us posted.

Sigh.....more terrible advice from P@H sadly. If you get your little guy neutered, there's no reason why he wouldn't bond to another bunny (might not be the first one you try with, but there's not many bunnies who will never bond!). Of course a load of un neutered males are going to fight, ridiculous advice and sadly too often sentences a bunny to a life alone :(

I'm sorry, I feel terrible now 😐 I was just following the advice given to me... It's my first time having a rabbit you see so it's all very new to me and I would of thought they were giving me the best advice 😐

I don't know why P@H give out such dreadful and ill-informed so-called advice. I wish their staff were better trained - a vain hope I fear.

Anyway, I doubt very much that your little chap would be unable to be bonded, once neutered (would need about 6 weeks for the hormones to die down).
Not sure where you live, but there are plenty of Rescues with beautiful rabbits waiting to be adopted, and many will help with bonding.

Good luck - keep us posted.

From what I'm hearing it seems Pets At Home have given me poor advice regarding my rabbit 😐 I will look into it, even if they are right I suppose there is no harm in trying. He is 10 weeks and I've been advised to get him neutered within 6 months.... Is this advice right?

From what I'm hearing it seems Pets At Home have given me poor advice regarding my rabbit 😐 I will look into it, even if they are right I suppose there is no harm in trying. He is 10 weeks and I've been advised to get him neutered within 6 months.... Is this advice right?

I got my little one in march when he was between 6 and 8 weeks and just had him neutered this week, so i think six months sounds about right. Just keep an eye out - we knew when he was ready to be done! :p

From what I'm hearing it seems Pets At Home have given me poor advice regarding my rabbit �� I will look into it, even if they are right I suppose there is no harm in trying. He is 10 weeks and I've been advised to get him neutered within 6 months.... Is this advice right?

You can have him neutered as soon as his testicles have dropped, so I would start checking in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, perhaps look for a vet who is experienced with rabbits, as not all vets are. Usually they are 'exotic' vets. If you post giving the area you live, someone may be able to recommend one.

Back