• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit is sick and need some urgent advice ?

CherrySpring

New Kit
Hi there I have two rabbits, both neutered, my mini lop is 5 years old and is wet with urineon his back end, he is usually well litter trained but he's been peeing in his pen everywhere, he seems to strain when he goes so I suspect a UTI, iv shaved his furr down and cleaned and dried him, he's got lots of clean towels and blankets that are being routinely changed to keep him dry. Problem
Is, because of a recent event my partners had to take paid leave but the deductions have hit hard and therefore I can't afford a consultation with the vet. Of course I don't want him to suffer but I need to put food in my sons mouth so I need an antibiotic (baytril) and some pain meds (metacam) where can I get this from if it's not the vet?

Those drugs are prescription only so you can't legally get them except when prescribed by a vet. It is possible that there is a deeper problem like bladder sludge or kidney stones rather than just a UTI, which would need investigating.

I've no advice re the finance dilemma but I hope you can find a way to get your bunny seen/made comfortable etc.

Both of those are prescription only medications so you cannot get them without a vet visit and it really sounds like your little one needs to go I'm afraid.

Lots of vets will work with you and let you set up payment plans so that it isn't just one large lump sum if you ask them before you book. There is also the PDSA which offers help getting pets to vets when the owners are from low income families, I don't know exactly how they work but might be worth looking into?

Both of those are prescription only medications so you cannot get them without a vet visit and it really sounds like your little one needs to go I'm afraid.

Lots of vets will work with you and let you set up payment plans so that it isn't just one large lump sum if you ask them before you book. There is also the PDSA which offers help getting pets to vets when the owners are from low income families, I don't know exactly how they work but might be worth looking into?

Would I just have to be honest with them and say I can't afford it? I'm ashamed because up until 6months ago, things were okay, my partners boss attacked him and as a result he has been the one to suffer, it's very unfair.

I have looked at the PDSA but they not help people on benefits and where we're not on benefits, we don't have that option. Iv had to divide the pen off for now because my other rabbit is becoming wet with the other bunnies urine, the are still right by each other but I can only afford the one not both to be so poorly. I'm going to keep him dry and clean until tomorrow and ring the vets.
In the scenario I cannot afford repayments. What would I do?

I agree with the prior post that your bunny needs to be assessed by a professional. While a UTI is possible, it is also possible he has a bladder stone that is causing the UTI and straining.
Even if you could find some place that would dispense prescription meds without a script, there would be no way to know if you were actually getting the medication. It also may cost you more than the vet visit.
Some vets may be willing to treat your pet for a UTI as a possible diagnosis without a lot of x-rays and blood tests and then see if that helps.

Good news, I emailed friends of the animals charity appealing for help with costs and they are going to find his visit. Have been advised to a few insurance company's who do rabbit insurance, I didn't think you could get it for them, going to do that tomorrow! Thank you all for your advice! He's a baldy bum now and he's dry, still straining but not covered in it so he's not scalding himself, seems a lot kore chilled today, can someone explain what EC has go to do with the bladder?

Back