• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit snot

lillylau

Warren Scout
11695820_411815845669318_5592332988724173942_n.jpg

11750703_411815819002654_3970597647697151814_n.jpg

found it this morning in Jess and Zoes Shed on one of his toys, he was neutered nearly 8 weeks ago, Zoe is also neutered

Last edited:
No, that is mucus. One of them/both of them may have the beginnings of an upper respiratory tract infection. Have you heard either of them sneezing ? Do either of them have an unusual amount of dampness around their nostrils. If you look at the fur on the 'cuffs' of their front legs is it at all damp/matted/sticky ?

thanks I will go an have a look, I did think it was strange for him, zoe is allergic to hay dust, I have had them both to the vets because of zoes sneezing and at first she did have a chest infections which was medicated and cleared and she was tested for her sneezing,

11695820_411815845669318_5592332988724173942_n.jpg

11750703_411815819002654_3970597647697151814_n.jpg

found it this morning in Jess and Zoes Shed on one of his toys, he was neutered nearly 8 weeks ago, Zoe is also neutered

It's highly unlikely to be sperm, but I can see why you think that! It looks to me more that it's come from the nasal passages - rabbit 'snot' more like. It seems to be mixed in with a bit of white rabbit hair? So it may be not so white as it actually looks? It's rather a lot of discharge to be from an infection, so it may be that one of them got something stuck up their nose and sneezed it out!

im going to keep an eye, zoe isn't any more sneezy than normal for her :( if she gets worse I will take them both to the vet

im going to keep an eye, zoe isn't any more sneezy than normal for her :( if she gets worse I will take them both to the vet

To be honest, looking at it again, it could have been from the mouth? Difficult to say - is the chin wet at all?

no they are both dry around the mouth, think it is snot as zoe has a small bit of white snot on one of her nostrils

thing is I have no problem taking her to the vets and I will but she is just the same as always and last time was 2 weeks ago and her chest was all clear she is just sneezy, I think a lot has to do with before I got her, when she was shut in a 2ft hutch with straw and hay in a shed with 20 other rabbits all on top of each other and allowed fresh air once every 4 weeks when she was placed in a 4ft square run with nothing, since I have had her she has been spayed, vacs done, nails done, teeth burned, treated for mites, treated for chest infection

Last edited:
Looks just like the gunk one of our boys sneezed out the other day. He is currently being nebulised daily for an upper respiratory tract infection

Last edited:
I have just been out and checked on her , she is dry around the nose and mouth and her legs are dry and clean, think to be on the safe size I will take her to the vets later this week, or straight away if I find any more

I have just been out and checked on her , she is dry around the nose and mouth and her legs are dry and clean, think to be on the safe size I will take her to the vets later this week, or straight away if I find any more

You could ask your vet for Bisolvon, which is just a pinch of powder that helps dilute the mucous and so it passes out easier.

Since I called it snot, did you change the title? :lol:

Back