• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spiders in their rabbit hutch?

Julia25

Alpha Buck
I have a 2 storey rabbit hutch thats located outside. It is pushed up between the side of the shed and fence.
The only problem is that more and more spiders seem to be liking the warm, dry area of the hutch.:roll:
I am terrified of spiders :shock: and absolutely hate the 8 legged things. Most of them are small but i have seen a few biggish ones. :?

I was wondering if any of you hutch owners have had a 'spider hutch infestation'? If so how did you get rid of them.
Im going to hose down the hutch hopefully getting rid of any webs but is there a spray that can deter them which isn't harmful to rabbits?

I know that having a few spiders about is a good thing because they can catch any unwanted fly therefore preventing flystrike.:thumb:

Hi, I am always being told to let the spiders be, as they're good at catching the flies. (Luckily I am fine with spiders though) so not much help from me.

Can I just add that I am really tired, and read your post as Soldiers in their rabbit hutch, and did a double take :lol:

Hiya.. I too hate spiders but take it from me, it's a fear worth having as flies will rarely be seen and when fly strike is a potential killer, I would gladly see spiders..

Maybe not ones that are too big. But they Dont pose any threat to bunnies...

I don't worry about spiders. I always leave them be. If the cobwebs get too much I will go down and brush them out. The spider webs will catch flies and spiders will kill the flies. They don't worry the rabbits.

Yes we have them too! They look like those horrible ones that people said they were getting bites from! I take them out when cleaning, the other day there were 8!! And I rarely clean out in the dark now!

I now have a problem of moths moving in which are driving me mad!

we have a problem with earwigs in our yard, I try and keep everything dry and we bleach and clean the yard everyday cause we have dogs but they still come, they were in the hutch when we had a rabbit in it and today I found one in my rabbit shed, I hate them :(

We have spiders too although they mostly stay where I can't see them but I tell myself they keep the flies away now so that's got to be a good thing. And yes I am scared of them!

My house bun is terrified of big spiders as am I! Last winter we had a big spider scuttle across the livingroom floor, she thumped and jumped into the top storey of her hutch whilst I leapt up on the sofa and my OH goes about catching it in his hands and putting it outside!!!!

I hate spiders but the shed is full of the,. I personally leave them in there as I'd rather have spiders than flies !

Back