• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Travelling?

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Anyone taken their rabbit on a long journey?
Moving house w/ Flo in a few weeks and it's 4 1/2-5hrs away. Really worried about her! Does anyone have any advice?

Frequently...I move house a lot and we also have a fairly long journey to get to their boarding place. I don't really do anything special, I just make sure the carrier is well secured in the car and give them some greens and a water bottle for the journey, although they've never touched these!

I usually leave them in the carrier in a quiet place in the house while I'm unpacking and setting up as I figure all the noise and chaos will be more stressful for them. I could be wrong though.

They've never suffered any ill effects, although one of my rabbits is more timid and stressy than the other and she usually takes longer to calm down after the journey.

Good luck with the move!

Because its a long flight don't cram her into a small carrier but maybe an indoor cage which allowed her to stretch and stand up throughout the car journey but still that she is confined. Have plenty of rest stops to allow her to eat, put the carrier either on the floor so that there is less car motion or cover half the cage with a blanket so that she can 'hide'. Ive never travelled far with my bunnies but i have researched a lot.

Thank you for your reply!
I've ordered one of those catit carriers which you can attach to a seat belt I think. Thankfully I'm not driving so I can keep an eye on her!
Yes I doubt she would touch anything she never touches treats on the journey to the vets.
Oh good idea I'll have to put her in one of the other bedrooms and where it'll be quite whilst I set up her hutch and run!
Thanks you have reassured me! She will hate me for it she will probably ignore me for a few weeks :lol:

Because its a long flight don't cram her into a small carrier but maybe an indoor cage which allowed her to stretch and stand up throughout the car journey but still that she is confined. Have plenty of rest stops to allow her to eat, put the carrier either on the floor so that there is less car motion or cover half the cage with a blanket so that she can 'hide'. Ive never travelled far with my bunnies but i have researched a lot.

I have now bought a catit carrier. Honestly I think she'll be too upset to stand up ! I'm going to strap the carrier in with the seat belt - she'll be on a seat next to me. We'll have a lunch stop but honestly I think the quicker we get there the better!

On a long journey I always make sure I feed them before they go in the carrier (so even if they don't eat on the trip their guts will still have food to work with) I also offer a 'treat' of water laced with a very little bit of fruit juice again so I know that at least they are starting out hydrated.

Obviously hay in the carrier and if you stop for the loo or something you can offer some fresh food such as forage or grass or veggies that will hopefully be tasty enough to tempt eating despite the stress.

But really it's just a case of bunnies in carrier and then go and pretty much leave them to themselves whilst travelling, well meaning stops to check on them or stroke them ect will just add an extra level of unknown to the experience. Getting them there as quickly and calmly as possible is the best plan for them!

When I moved up here, with my cat and two rabbits, it took 9 1/2 hours ! Cat was in a large dog crate, buns in a smaller one. They had to go in the back of a van, but were completely surrounded by duvets to cushion the vibrations. Made loads of stops on the way up. My cat didn't eat wee or poo, but the buns just chomped their hay all the way up, and took it in their stride. Bless them all, it was a very stressful time for me, but they were brilliant, and settled in here really quickly. Think yours will be just fine. Good luck ! :thumb:

Back