• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Project bunny heaven planning advise please!

daisymaisy

Young Bun
Good morning! Now ready to get Daisy & Maisy's outdoor set up underway, and looking for advise please!

They're having a nice big, insulated shed with permanent access to huge run area. Within what will be the run area is currently a compact but tallish conifer tree and some plum trees / runners. I was planning on cutting sown the conifer - would it be ok to leave the stump for them, or should I dig it out? Will they be ok with the plum trees and the occasional falling plum too, or again should I remove them?

Only other bit I'm unsure of is what the ground covering should be. I was thinking 50% grass (with wire underneath) and 50% slabs, but now wondering if it's better to have it all paved with grass in a tough-spot (cement mixing rectangular plastic affair)? Can I use chipped bark / wood chip / gravel? Any ideas on this much appreciated!

Thank you all x

As far as I know stoned fruits aren't good for rabbits so I think removing the plum tree might be best.
I've never kept rabbits outdoors so unsure on your other questions but I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise.
The set up sounds ace though [emoji2]

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I reakon chipped bark, wood chip and gravel would be hard to keep clean. Mine are all on earth (with mesh underneath) or concrete.

I agree that it would be best to remove the plum trees not sure about conifers.

Good luck. Sounds like its going to be a lovely set up.

Not sure on conifer stump - might be ok if it has time to dry out before they have access. If you do want it out it might be easier to strip the branches and leave the trunk and then you can pull it over rather than trying to dig it out - that how we had ours taken out anyway :)

They'll strip any trunks the have access to so if you want to keep the plum then you'll need a guard around the base - you could maybe strap a net up to catch stray plums? The wood/stones aren't bunny safe. If you're not super attached to the plums you could replace with a dwarf apple. Again you'd need to protect the trunk but it would be good shade and a great source of fresh branches/leaves.

I think 50% grass is a good idea. It's lovely for bunnies to be able to graze and it's comfy on their paws. Just an idea for you, but lay the mesh flat and then use some spare top soil to landscape a bit. Runs are often super level and I think a hill or two is nice if you've got room. Plus gives a little digging potential.

If you wanted to pave more, I'd go for skipping a paving slab and meshing the square (if you plan ahead you can tuck the mesh edges under the slab and fill in that square with grass so it was checkboard style. Or divide it up with paving so you can infill different areas :)

Sorry - I'm still here - some unforeseen circumstances delayed the project, but determined to get this done quickly now in time for winter!

I'm just about to start a new construction thread. Lots of work to do.... it'll be a long one!

Do I need to wire mesh under the entire run, or is it ok to dig it in vertically around the edge? Or both? Want to keep bunnies in and Mr Fox (should he ever try getting in the garden) out.

I'll have a go at getting the conifer stump out, but if it's stubborn I think I'll cut to ground level and lay a heavy slab over the top. As for the plums, do you think it would be good to leave some of the trunk for them to chew on?

Many thanks all x

I'd lay it over the hole the whole area, bunnies are pretty good diggers and can go quite deep so I wouldn't guarentee they won't go under if its just around the edge.

Back