• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help locating breeders of French Lops

Hugo'smum

New Kit
Hi Guys,:wave:

As some of you may be aware I lost Hugo my Orange French Lop on Monday. He contracted E cuniculi last year and regained a quality of life. I have lost my best friend and struggling to find breeders of French Lops.

If you know of any websites or recomendations I would be most grateful.

The breeder I got Hugo from has a website but not sure it is still active?

Thanks

Joy

You won't get much help on here as it's rescue based.
However, Karen Wren at Ross Rabbits.

Better to adopt but I know and like Karen.

I can't help with a recommendation for a French lop breeder, but have you thought of adopting a rescue bunny, rather than buying from a breeder. These days, with the popularity of bigger breeds, there are more and more giant bunnies ending up in rescues around the country. Adopting from a rescue will mean that your new bunny will be vaccinated, neutered and health checked, plus you'll have a really good idea of his/her personality.

I can't help with a recommendation for a French lop breeder, but have you thought of adopting a rescue bunny, rather than buying from a breeder. These days, with the popularity of bigger breeds, there are more and more giant bunnies ending up in rescues around the country. Adopting from a rescue will mean that your new bunny will be vaccinated, neutered and health checked, plus you'll have a really good idea of his/her personality.

This :wave:

This too :) :wave:

There are LOADS of frenchlops in rescues at the moment, due to a large scale rescue that was done recently. Also, all of these are french lops in rescues.

Yes I know Karen too, and her rabbits are her family :D

However, I agree - there are so many unwanted rabbits who are suffering through absolutely no fault of their own, I would *never* go to a breeder or a pet shop.

Hi .. I agree what others have said.. Adopting even one french lop would make such a difference to that bunny....

I have a ross rabbit!!! I travelled from Southend on Sea to Ross on Wye to get her. She's a total darling... More like a dog than a bun! Haha. She'll be due for her spay soon and I am stressing so hard :(

But OP do have a look on www.rabbitrehome.org.uk, you can filter your search by 'large' rabbits to find the frenchies!

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear about Hugo :'( french lops leave a massive hole when they leave us. I lost my stormy the other month. :cry:
I hear that there are lots of frenchies in rescues at the moment due to around 50 of them needing to be rehomed.
I was so tempted to go to a breeder to find a french lop as when I was looking there were non. I just love frenchies. I have a Benny now. A mystery large breed from a rescue. Not sure how that happened as I had my heart set on a frenchie but benny won me over:lol:

Hope you find your perfect bun x

I am so sorry for for my post. To me Hugo was my guide dog in all ways. I had never had a French Lop before and he became the eyes that I could no longer see through.

I have rescued rabbits and guinea pigs in the past but when I had some sight and a lot younger which were based in Pets corner in my local park when I lived back home in Yorkshire.
I am very grateful to you all for replying....and wanted to say I hope that my asking the question has not caused offence to anyone?

I suppose in my heart I just want my Hugo back as he gave unconditional love and I just did all that I could to try and make his life a good one.

I will however endeavour to look into rescue bunnies as I value your advice and opinions.

Thanks again

Joy.

Hugo's Mum... it's your right to get your bunny from whereever you choose. 9/10 of my rabbits are rescues but for Ginger I made the informed decision to go to Karen at Ross Rabbits. I don't regret it, she's amazing and I know I do my bit for rescue buns.

Back