• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering!

Pip&Milo

Warren Scout
Milo is in the vets today to be neutered. I dropped him off at 9am this morning, had a half an hour chat with the nurse, then headed home full of worry! I'm sure he will be fine and I completely trust these vets, I just can't help but feel anxious. We've brought an old hutch indoors (it's pretty small) and attached a large pen to it so he's got some space to move around but can use the useless hutch to hide in if he'd like. Any advice on what I should expect? Or things I should do for when he gets home?
Worried mamma here!

Ensure that he gets pain meds to come home with (Metacam) as he will be feeling a bit sore, usually for a few days afterwards you get pain relief, don't let them send you home without it (I'm sure they won't!)

Just allow him to be alone and quiet for a while. I have a Milo too and he went in with his brother Finn, Finn was done second so he was groggy right through until tea time, but Milo was bouncing around as if nothing had happened by the evening!

Keep an eye on the wound if you can, just ensure that it hasn't opened and watch for excessive licking or biting at the wound.

Everything will be fine I'm sure, try not to worry x

Thanks for your response, i've started writing a list of things I want to ask/check when I go to pick him up! The lady said to me before I left, please make sure you are available to answer when we call, I was like "I'll be sitting by the phone all day!!!" I'm sure he'll be fine I'm just such a worrier. And I wish I'd booked him in for a Monday instead of a Friday haha it'll be just my luck that he won't be well over the weekend!!

Thanks for your response, i've started writing a list of things I want to ask/check when I go to pick him up! The lady said to me before I left, please make sure you are available to answer when we call, I was like "I'll be sitting by the phone all day!!!" I'm sure he'll be fine I'm just such a worrier. And I wish I'd booked him in for a Monday instead of a Friday haha it'll be just my luck that he won't be well over the weekend!!

I'm sure he will be fine! I think checking the wound twice a day is the best thing you can do, and give arnica to relieve any swelling in the testicle sacs (though I realise a lot of people are dubious of using complementary meds!)

I'm sure he will do fine - Binky was spayed on Tuesday and I sat by the phone until they phoned at about 2pm :lol:

I wish him a speedy recovery - I don't really have much to add but to echo what was said above!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks guys he is home after no complications. I've already rung the vets back after panicking about him licking at his wound. I've asked how excessive is excessive lol. He did it as he was generally cleaning himself so I think he's probably ok. At the moment I'm camped out by his pen as he's sprawled out on the floor haha I'd rather be the annoying caller than sit up all night panicked!

Thanks guys he is home after no complications. I've already rung the vets back after panicking about him licking at his wound. I've asked how excessive is excessive lol. He did it as he was generally cleaning himself so I think he's probably ok. At the moment I'm camped out by his pen as he's sprawled out on the floor haha I'd rather be the annoying caller than sit up all night panicked!

Really glad it all went well :thumb:

That's great news about bertie!!! :) milo seems pretty normal today. He's eaten a little and hopped around a bit. He's pooped and they're smaller than usually, very small in fact. , so I'm gonna keep an eye on that. I got a look this morning and everything looks ok so fingers crossed he'll be 100% soon. Oh and he's not happy about not having free reign of the house!!!

A week for neutering - Daisy & Maisy were spayed on Tuesday too! We've just been to see the nurse and had the all-clear - both healing nicely and back to being themselves. Is Milo eating plenty of hay? Daisy & Maisy didn't really get up to full appetite until yesterday, and I did have to top them up with the critical care hay mush feed on Tuesday and Wednesday. Had fun trying to figure out if they were both pooping - I was on 'poop watch Tuesday night! We kept buns in their indoor house all day Wednesday, but by Thursday they were desperate to go back out. Gave them extra towels to rest on, but they totally ignored them....

A week for neutering - Daisy & Maisy were spayed on Tuesday too! We've just been to see the nurse and had the all-clear - both healing nicely and back to being themselves. Is Milo eating plenty of hay? Daisy & Maisy didn't really get up to full appetite until yesterday, and I did have to top them up with the critical care hay mush feed on Tuesday and Wednesday. Had fun trying to figure out if they were both pooping - I was on 'poop watch Tuesday night! We kept buns in their indoor house all day Wednesday, but by Thursday they were desperate to go back out. Gave them extra towels to rest on, but they totally ignored them....

Milo is equally desperate to get out, we've put a metal pen around his indoor home so that he's got more run but he's still not happy! He keeps lifting it in a strop, hasn't managed to get out yet though :p
Strangely Milo has been eating more hay than he was before. We've actualy been concerned about his hay eating for a while as he's seemed very uninterested but he's been munching away since his op!
Poos are back to normal size and you wouldn't know anything was wrong! :)

I was sooo anxious. I literally just wanted to cry the whole time because I felt like he wouldn't be able to understand why he was in pain and it was all my fault. I hate it! We had our post-op on Monday and the vet was happy to not see him again, as it's all gone well. They're healing up nicely although a bit swollen which is apparantly fine. The swelling has reduced now anyway!
All that and pets at home payed for it. Wahay.

Back